North West Argentina

Poncho Nick,

What will be the new situation there basis the new rules?

Poncho Nick,

What will be the new situation there basis the new rules?
We don't know yet: the COE in Salta meets tomorrow to decide, while the Jujuy governor Gerardo Morales is speaking tonight. So I think everyone will be holding tight over the weekend...

We don't know yet: the COE in Salta meets tomorrow to decide, while the Jujuy governor Gerardo Morales is speaking tonight. So I think everyone will be holding tight over the weekend...
So, in answer to your earlier question, BankNote, while Jujuy is still pretty unchanged beyond mask wearing in public, and there are no travel restrictions, in Salta province where I live there is pretty much total daily lockdown in high risk areas (which include the city, and the municipality where I live just south of it). Red areas where there are high risks of infection include about half the province, geographically. So it's another case of hunkering down and being patient, I'm afraid. I wouldn't plan any trips here for the time being.

I recently did a recce of a new (ish) road here which links to the Quebrada de Humahuaca to Calilegua Cloud Forest for the first time.

The road actually opened in October 2019 and links Santa Ana (roughly 120km from Humahuaca, way beyond the Serrania de Hornocal) with Valle Colorado in Calilegua.

There was only 15km missing, but there's a descent of roughly 1,400m, and as you'll see from my photo, the road is cut into along sheer cliff, so it was quite a project.

There is also an excellent, and easily accessible, section of the Inca trail along the way, and a spectacular change in scenery as you descend from the mountains into the Cloud Forest.

More info on my blog and webpage.

Attachments

• new road colours.jpg
    new road colours.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 23
Back