Now Argentina Wants To Buy Gripen Fighter Jets

camberiu

Registered
You can't make this stuff up.

El partido UNIR propone la compra argentina de cazas Gripen

JAS39Gripen_000.jpg

Is Argentina in a mid-life crisis or something? Now they are saying they want Gripens? First it was F1's, then it was Kfir's, then it was (I think Mirage 2000's - not sure). Did I miss some? Next they'll want Su-35's.

How are they planning to pay for these? The Air Force and Navy doesn't have enough money to keep their current jets in the air.

I doubt they have the money for this. I like Gripens though. Would be nice. But Sukhois would be better.

HAHAHA reminds me when we were poor and made the list of what we wanted, for xmas a pony,a new bike ,new nikes,a new nintendo,a bigger tv for our room,etc when in reality we knew none of that was gonna come true,but it was great to dream for a little bit
Argentina has no money and no credit left,they will end up buying nothing but must be nice to dream like they do no?
Btw sometimes we did get maybe a candy bar ,i don't know what argentina will get....... maybe a second hand A4 from the transilvania air force?

Is Argentina in a mid-life crisis or something? Now they are saying they want Gripens? First it was F1's, then it was Kfir's, then it was (I think Mirage 2000's - not sure). Did I miss some? Next they'll want Su-35's.

How are they planning to pay for these? The Air Force and Navy doesn't have enough money to keep their current jets in the air.
No kidding... remember the BS with the nuclear sub? CK wanted to buy a sub "because Brazil has them". This government has a problem with it's compulsion shopping.

No kidding... remember the BS with the nuclear sub? CK wanted to buy a sub "because Brazil has them". This government has a problem with it's compulsion shopping.

I don't think they were buying one, rather planning on ramming a nuclear reactor into a 50s/60s diesel submarine.

I don't think they were buying one, rather planning on ramming a nuclear reactor into a 50s/60s diesel submarine.
Noooo, nothing new. I read the story in the Herald several years ago. From what I remember, it was that the sub was already purchased and sitting in crates on the docks. Apparently the sub they bought was not intended for use with a nuclear reactor, it would have had to be fitted for it... so more expenditures. I just couldn't believe the reasoning behind the purchase in a time when cut-backs are needed.

Noooo, nothing new. I read the story in the Herald several years ago. From what I remember, it was that the sub was already purchased and sitting in crates on the docks. Apparently the sub they bought was not intended for use with a nuclear reactor, it would have had to be fitted for it... so more expenditures. I just couldn't believe the reasoning behind the purchase in a time when cut-backs are needed.

That was the TR1700 class submarines build by Germany specifically for Argentina. They were not nuclear subs or meant to be nuclear, but they were the largest and most advanced non-nuclear subs ever built at the time. Even the German navy did not have anything like that. The subs were made to meet Argentina's requirement. They bought them on the even of the breakout of the Falkland conflict and of the original order for six, only two were finished: The ARA Santa Cruz and the ARA San Juan. The rest remained unfinished, with most components sitting on crates, as you mentioned.

Back