Nuevo Dni Extranjero Experience

steelersfan

Registered
Hope this helps some folks out there.

Background:
1. My spanish is very limited which of course makes doing anything here difficult but I know that's completely my fault. But I have to say doing anything here is so freaking difficult (compared to back the good old USA).
2. I live in Capital - NOT in Provincia
3. My DNI was issued in 2009 with an expiration date of 2025. I wasn't sure if I needed the "NUEVO DNI" because the following websites says I didn't: http://www.nuevodni.gov.ar/inicio/index.php
4. My 2009 DNI had an OLD address I no longer lived at so I thought I should get the "NUEVO DNI".

Process:
1. Go to website to make appointment: http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/indexN.php?dni_extranjeros
2. My appointment was for 8:00 and arrived at 7:30 to find a line forming outside of the Hipolito Yrigoyen 952 .
3. I have 2 children that were also issued 2009 DNIs and made separate appointments on the same day in December but took them with me on my appointment in November.
4. The first thing you have to do is go through the "Reception Desk Line". Its the triage line where you show your appointment printout and tell the person what you need. The 2 problems I had were: The lady was adamant (with a typical government worker's I don't care attitude) that I couldn't get my kids new DNIs because they didn't have an appointment. Secondly, I didn't have a "boleta de servico" showing the new address I wanted (I had my kid's school tuition bill because I moved into a new building and haven't received my utility bills yet). So, I carted my kids home with nothing to show for my efforts.
5. I was lucky enough to be allowed to come back the following day (without a new appointment) and try again.
6. After bringing a bill (edenor), I was able to finish the application process for the new DNI.
7. First, go to the main Reception Desk Line, I showed them my appointment print out (from the day before) with the edenor bill. There I received a ticket with a "C Number" and told to go back to the "fondo salon". I knew I was in the right place because the electronic sign had "C#s" and there was a big sign that said DNI Extranjeros.
8. There I waited for my number to be called on the electronic sign. I waited for about an hour and a half (there were about 100 numbers ahead of me). Once called I went to the "box #" and handed my ticket, appointment printout, my Brown DNI (issued in 2009) and my edenor bill with my new address. The lady confirmed my new address and asked my cell number and took my digital picture. The lady gave me back my documents and a "RECEIPT/CONSTANCIA" and explained that it would take about 60 days and what to do if they can't deliver it.
9. After that you have to go to the CAJA to pay $35 (cash)
10. Finally (I didn't quite understand this but the lady spoke a little english and explained this to me), you have to go back to the Reception Desk area and get your "RECEIPT/CONSTANCIA" Stamped and Signed. There's a window next to the Reception Desk that's for "FIRMAS". Don't forget this final step. Thank God the lady explained that to me because I would have just left after I paid the $35 pesos in the Caja.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Awesome. Thanks for sharing your experience. Quick question -- for PROVINCIA (GBA Norte), do you know where this process is done? The migraciones.gov.ar only mentions CABA and Interior...

Back