NY Magazine's BA article circa 2006

Napoleon

Registered
I just thought that it would be fun to take a trip back in time to the first part of 2006 and to see what the New York Magazine was saying about Buenos Aires.

A Moveable Fiesta

Buenos Aires has become an expat haven like Paris in the twenties–except with girls in bikinis.

movablefiesta060220_1_560.jpg

Dominic LoTempio photographing a model on his rooftop in Buenos Aires. (Photo: Pablo Abuliak)

Dominic LoTempio leans back in his deck chair and surveys the grounds of the second home he rented for the year: a sleek, modernist two-bedroom in a gated retreat 30 minutes north of Buenos Aires. Ten feet from his toes, a stiff putting-green-style lawn continues uninterrupted to the border of a heated, infinity-edge pool and then eases down to a man-made lake with a dock for canoeing. And half a mile down the street is the field where he takes off and lands his paraglider. “It’s like living in the Hamptons,” he says. Except the whole thing costs just $1,400 a month.

http://nymag.com/guides/changeyourlife/16047/

Just about 5 years ago. Has anything changed? :cool:

Ahh..that makes me laugh. That pic was taken on the roof of the building where I lived & I knew Dominic (we grew up in the same town).

And yes.. how the prices have changed since then ;)

I hate that article, but there's an even worse one floating around from about 2002 that still seems to come up as a reference point for newbies, who are then utterly disappointed when they arrive and things aren't as cheap as they'd like them to be.

Back