NYC to Buenos Aires - question on cost of living

eva_rgentina said:
"It depends on how picky you are. With that salary, you can live a nice, relatively carefree "student" lifestyle, living with some other expats and going out to dinner and sometimes taking a cab."
Now this I'm not sure I agree with (and I'm one of the first to say that BsAs has gotten expensive!)

Assuming at 8300 take home salary and say 3000 going towards rent/expensas (remember, OP can rent an apt at local rates since the company will act as guarantia), 5300 is more than enough to live on for a single person - food, going out, etc.

Yes, OP won't save much money and yes, if OP has expenses/debt in dollars back home, not nearly enough but assuming she comes here with clean slate ) - I would be hard-pressed to think the OP would have to live a student lifestyle and not take cabs.

As for the rest of your points - I agree.

Well, if it's just about cost of living here and OP is willing to share an apt, she'll be fine. But it's alot to give up. Mega salary, large apt in Manhattan, security.....ask people here if they'd swap with you for your life in NYC. 90% would say yes.

I agree many young people will take a big cut for an international adventure, especially if a boyfriend is part of the deal.

My biggest concern is the OPs future ability to get back on track being a lawyer in NYC. These jobs are going away, not growing. Depending on the type of law it could be very tough.

So think through a possible scenario. After a year or two you very well may want to return to NY. You've been making pesos and saved little. Legal jobs are tough to come by. Going back will just get harder and harder.

Personally, I'd put away the $40K, invest it in something safe, and keep to fund your transition if this doesn't work for you.

One last thing I'll note is relating to your comment about "basics" like a dishwasher and washing machine. These are not basics at all in AR apartments under $1000. There are many $3000/mo places without either. This shouldn't be a problem because sending laundry out is cheap, but it's good to understand because you'll be giving up a lot of things you consider basic in NY to live in Baires on that salary.

3,000 pesos a month is a huge amount for rent/expenses on local rates!

But you're right, even 5300 is enough to live far more than a student life. Works out to around 170 pesos per day, you could eat out and have a few drinks every single night with that much, and not at "student" places!

deeve007 said:
...or not so cynical/narrow minded as where you're from.

I'm not cynical I just don't like being manipulated. Come on folks use your heads. The OP says shes mid 20's, ok so she's about 25. She states she is lawyer with 4 to 5 years of experience. Well if she is only 25 that means she finished law school at at the latest around the age 20 or so, since law school is 3 years that means she graduated from college at 17 and started at age 13 or 14. This seems highly unlikely to me. Again this thread is bogus.

If you rent a furnished apartment for the first month or two as you search for a long term rental, the utilities (gas, electricity, phone) are often included in the total.

If and when you lease an apartment long term (two years is standard) at the local rate you will be responsibly for all utilities and probably the monthly consorcio fees. Two years ago these expenses for my 73 mtr2 apartment in an older (but not particularly nice) building in Recoleta were about $800 pesos per month. I'm sure they're higher now. In addition to the cost of the porteros, elevators in older buildings may require frequent maintenance. There aren't many "walk ups" with low fees on the rental market.

Rents usually increase about 20% after the first year (written in the lease).

Unfurnished apartments usually don't include a fridge or washing machine and may not have A/C, either. Some do not even have light fixtures or curtains. Automatic dishwashers are rare, especially in your desired price range.

You will probably pay much less for gas and electricity in BA than NYC.

Philsword said:
I'm not cynical I just don't like being manipulated. Come on folks use your heads. The OP says shes mid 20's, ok so she's about 25. She states she is lawyer with 4 to 5 years of experience. Well if she is only 25 that means she finished law school at at the latest around the age 20 or so, since law school is 3 years that means she graduated from college at 17 and started at age 13 or 14. This seems highly unlikely to me. Again this thread is bogus.
This comment from you doesn't strike me as being just about this thread:

"Who in their right mind would take a 80% pay cut from their current employer to take a foreign assignment, in my experience this isn't how the world works."

I would regard myself as very much in my "right mind", though some of my friends may disagree with you.

steveinbsas said:
Two years ago these expenses for my 73 mtr2 apartment in an older (but not particularly nice) building in Recoleta were about $800 pesos per month. I'm sure they're higher now. In addition to the cost of the porteros, elevators in older buildings may require frequent maintenance. There aren't many "walk ups" with low fees on the rental market.

Rents usually increase about 20% after the first year (written in the lease).

Unfurnished apartments usually don't include a fridge or washing machine and may not have A/C, either. Some do not even have light fixtures or curtains. Automatic dishwashers are rare, especially in your desired price range.
Thanks Steve, some valuable info in there that I wasn't aware of. Cheers. :)

Philsword said:

Even if it is bogus it will be read by a number of individuals who really are considering a move to BA and will benefit from the information.;)

I am suspicious of about half of the posts like this, but even some of the most difficult to believe could be genuine (like the guy from Chicago who said he was at the top of the food chain...and wanted to move here with nine children, two of whom were adults).:rolleyes:

deeve007 said:
This comment from you doesn't strike me as being just about this thread:

"Who in their right mind would take a 80% pay cut from their current employer to take a foreign assignment, in my experience this isn't how the world works."

I would regard myself as very much in my "right mind", though some of my friends may disagree with you.

You've lost me here, I'm not sure what you mean. But you will have to agree the timeline provided by the OP at best seems unlikely and calls the authenticity of thread into question. Never mind that I don't think taking 80% pay cuts makes sense.

Back