NYC to Buenos Aires - question on cost of living

ZMR, I think that there is a lot of coherent advice in this thread and things for you to consider. that said, your skills will be stable and you can always return to a higher paying job market if you decide BA isn't for you. I applaud your willingness to entertain alternate options and seek something out that may make you happier than you are in your current life. Money isn't everything, but if you're not finding happiness here, either, you can always go back to the States. You are also young and it's the prime of your life to do something adventurous. You are clearly intelligent and are looking before you leap. I think you'll be just fine, and BA can offer a very good time to someone in your position. I also think that it's a good idea to rent a shared flat for at least several months and not jump into a living situation with your boyfriend. You can get a decent 1 bedroom apartment to yourself for around US$500-600 with all expenses included in that cost, or up to $800 for something nicer in a trendy neighborhood. You won't have trouble if you're not looking to sit in the lap of luxury. Regardless, good luck in your decision!

Philsword said:
Sorry but this doesn't sound real. Who in their right mind would take a 80% pay cut from their current employer to take a foreign assignment, in my experience this isn't how the world works.
Umm... *puts hand up*.

Sorry, who are you to say what someone else chooses to do with their life? As a couple of posters mentioned, there's far more to life than the almighty $$$.

CarverFan said:
If you already have a boyfriend here, why will you be looking for a room in a shared house to meet people etc.... something doesn't add up here.
Perhaps... she hasn't "moved in" with her boyfriend yet, nor wants to just yet? Just a thought....

Philsword said:
Exactly, the whole thread just doesn't pass the sniff test, it's either somebody having fun or not so hot marketing. No company I have ever heard off would transfer somebody overseas B.A. or otherwise and expect the employee to take an 80% pay cut and plus you are moving to somewhere the inflation is 25% which means the peso will be shortly worth a whole lot less in time with many expecting a big devaluation after the election. Anybody that would give up a well paying job to enter this scenario would have to be certifiable. I think this thread is a complete phoney.

Well, I personally know of several people who took 50%+ pay cuts (one took an 85% pay cut) to move here. One was working for a very large consulting company in Europe and when she transfered, she got paid the local salary. Another one was working for an IT company and again, went from a dollar based salary to a peso salary. Others quit their jobs to come here and start their own thing or what have you, all of which entailed huge changes in salary and earnings.

If you're not senior managment, it's not unusual for making that a condition of an internal transfer. And if you're doing it on your own, and find a job with a local company, of course your salary would be at local levels.

As to why - well, the people I know that did it wanted a change, wanted int'l experience, had personal reasons to be here, etc. It does happen and not infrequently.

deeve007 said:
With garantia and local apartment prices, try 1500-2000 pesos for a good one bedroom (around $400-500).

Not in a good area then your talking about 2500-3000 peso especially if you throw in some luxuries. Espensas, internet, cable, landline will also run around 500 peso

citygirl said:
Well, I personally know of several people who took 50%+ pay cuts (one took an 85% pay cut) to move here. One was working for a very large consulting company in Europe and when she transfered, she got paid the local salary. Another one was working for an IT company and again, went from a dollar based salary to a peso salary. Same for a third person in marketing.

If you're not senior managment, it's not unusual for making that a condition of an internal transfer.

As to why - well, the people I know that did it wanted a change, wanted int'l experience, had personal reasons to be here, etc. It does happen.

I know many

zmr said:
OK here goes another question, and I may start a new thread about this - could I be making more than 10,000 pesos if I start looking for in-house positions at international companies, or is 10,000 about as good as it gets for someone my level (i.e. 4-5 years experience as a lawyer). For example, citygirl, (and also no need for you to answer publicly) do you make more than 10,000/month working for your company? If so, then maybe I need to pass on this job and keep looking... However, I did get several offers from a number of law firms and this has been the best one so far by several thousand pesos.

FWIW, at your experience level, I think that's a very good salary offer. For many companies, that's mid/upper level management salary.

There is a lot of solid advice on this thread. I'd say I agree with a lot of the others here in saying that you will be facing a "lower" quality of life here, in terms of money and material things. (That said, of course there are other aspects of life to consider.)

It depends on how picky you are. With that salary, you can live a nice, relatively carefree "student" lifestyle, living with some other expats and going out to dinner and sometimes taking a cab. (I personally would give a LOT to have that salary right now.) It will certainly be possible to manage all your expenses. Probably not going to be able to save much (if any) money.

But you, having had your experience being a "professional" in New York, will be disappointed if you think you can keep that up. Even with a much higher salary you would find that there is no Whole Foods here, no Bloomingdales, an utter lack of MANY MANY things we NYers are accustomed to. There are pitiful sidewalks, complicated cultural differences, inflation and political problems, bureaucratic nightmares in Spanish, and excessive use of beef fat in food products.

So it depends. Do material things make you happy? Are you willing to give up some comfort for some adventure (or for love?)

As a young person to a young person, I say you should do it. Especially if it's just a kind of extended stay, don't overthink it if you have the opportunity to go home whenever you want. If you think of it as temporary and are willing to put up with it for a while, it's no problem. (The problem comes if your said local boyfriend wants to keep you here forever. In that case, you have a whole world of things to consider.)

Good luck. :) Bring us some cranberries?

One thing is for sure. We wish OP good luck should she decide to take the plunge. And who knows - love may conquer all.
p.s. If you do relocate, it wouldn't hurt to have a good ATM card to access that 40K, one that minimizes your transaction fees.

Back