NYC to Buenos Aires - question on cost of living

deeve007 said:
With garantia and local apartment prices, try 1500-2000 pesos for a good one bedroom (around $400-500).

Not in a good area and with expenses, cable, internet, phone you will add another 500 to 800 peso.

2500-3000 is really a relastic figure and if you go for the basic 2 year lease you lose a lot of your flexibility, have to buy all your stuff, sell for about 20% of the value once you leave and go through the hassle of selling everything, instead of buying a ticket and pack your backs

Philsword said:
You've lost me here, I'm not sure what you mean.
Okay, I'll spell it out to you:

Your comment was about people taking 80% pay cuts to move to BA, and that anyone would be "out of their mind" to do so, hence it can't be true.
And my response is that I - and others I know of - have indeed done this, and I would not consider myself out of my mind.

Was that clear enough?

The rest of it I'm not passing comment on, just your original comment.

steveinbsas said:
Even if it is bogus it will be read by a number of individuals who really are considering a move to BA and will benefit from the information.;)

I am suspicious of about half of the posts like this, but even some of the most difficult to believe could be genuine (like the guy from Chicago who said he was at the top of the food chain...and wanted to move here with nine children, two of whom were adults).:rolleyes:

I agree, there have been many posts here over couple of years that seem suspicious. Usually they write in get a discussion going for a couple of days and then disappear never to be heard from again. I suspect this is someone thinking they are doing some subtle marketing. I have no problem with people marketing their products or services but do object when it's done in an underhanded manner.

Did you miss his point about the guy from Chicago, and that even "unbelievable threads" may in fact be true?

deeve007 said:
Okay, I'll spell it out to you:

Your comment was about people taking 80% pay cuts to move to BA, and that anyone would be "out of their mind" to do so, hence it can't be true.
And my response is that I - and others I know of - have indeed done this, and I would not consider myself out of my mind.

Was that clear enough?

The rest of it I'm not passing comment on, just your original comment.

Well like I said in my last comment never mind the pay cut, it still doesn't sound plausible with the rest of the information provided.

deeve007 said:
Did you miss his point about the guy from Chicago, and that even "unbelievable threads" may in fact be true?

He didn't say he believed it, it was one of the most unbelievable on several of these types of threads. He was saying even if these are phoney(many of which I believe he does) there is still good information shared.

Guys I still don't understand what you think I'm marketing? If this were a marketing ploy, it would be a bad one, don't you think, as there are no products or services advertised here. I haven't even stated what kind of lawyer I am so I hardly think I'm trying to attract clients (that being said, send me a private message if you need a lawyer... kidding!)

I'm 28 (ok maybe I stretched the definition of "mid-20's," but forgive me for not wanting to admit I'm as close to 30 as I am). I graduated law school in 2007, which will make me a 5th year associate technically as of next month, or January in terms of salary, and even though I am a 5th year I have 4 years of experience. This all makes sense.

Life is much more pleasant without the unnecessary paranoia, I promise.

Again, thanks to everyone else for the good advice. Luckily, I have some time to decide (I probably don't need to make a decision until early October if I want to have my work visa lined up for January), so hopefully the right answer will come to me.

Geez, give the OP a break. As someone who has recently also moved here and is finding my way day by day, I love having this forum as a resource, but have noticed a horrible pattern that anytime anybody even hints at the possibility of moving here, they are talked about how horrible and expensive things are, when that is NOT the case, atleast in my experience. I am talking about right here and now. I don't have a crystal ball to predict how bad the inflation will be 5 years from now.

This is also coming from someone in my late 20s, who has dual citizenship (US and Spain), and who could also be living and working anywhere in the States OR Europe, but by choice I am here, and so far, it has been quite positive. I am spending around $2400 USD a month and living far better than I would on this type of money in the US (I am referencing life in downtown Chicago, which is where I lived there, a small town in Iowa might be a different story) OR Madrid, Spain, and even have some money for little luxuries. In my particular case, I would even venture to say that I am living better than I was when I had a salary that was substantially higher when I lived in the States, because the bulk of things that I personally would spend the most money on such as eating out, are less here.

Having met many expats in Spain, I have come to the conclusion that ex pats can be very spoiled and always feel an exasperated need to ¨match things up¨ to how life was ¨back home¨. Newsflash: It probably never will be. You are in another country, another culture, another way of thinking.

Bottom line, I think if anybody were to ask ANY Argentinian if 10.000 pesos is good money, good enough to live nicely off of, we all know what the answer would be!

zmr said:
Life is much more pleasant without the unnecessary paranoia, I promise.
I think there are some folk who sit in their room all day worrying about everything outside their window.

Back