Obtaining Residencia Transitoria como Académico

Rill

Registered
Hello, everyone! I've just joined this Forum:) My name is Elena and I am planning to move to Argentina soon. I have received a grant in the UK to do a research project in Argentina. At the moment I am trying to gather all the documents to obtain Residencia Transitoria como Académico. But I've had some problems since people at the Argentine embassy in London have been quite slow in responding. I just wonder whether anyone here had an experience of entering Argentina for scientific purposes and can share some experiences?
Thanks so much in advance,
Elena

Hi Elena,
I can´t be of much help here, but I would recommend going in person to the embassy, they won´t get back to you by email or phone. If you speak Spanish, their website is pretty clear (i often get business visas for clients).
You might need a local sponsor. Ask the granting organization if they have a contact here.

Thanks so much for your advice. I have now started collecting all the documents and hopefully it will work out ok :) Thanks!

Hi Elena, heres's some info from the migraciones website. Hope it helps.

ACADEMIC REQUIREMENTS

DOCUMENTS TO SUBMIT:

a) IDENTITY: Identity Card, Passport or Certificate of Citizenship with photo, originals. These documents must be in force and in good condition and submitted with a full set of copies including blank pages.
b) CERTIFICATE OF ARGENTINE CRIMINAL RECORDS Issued by the National Registry of Reoffend, or Federal Police. Only requires to those over 16 years.
c) CERTIFICATE OF LACK OF CRIMINAL RECORD issued by the competent authorities of the countries where they have resided for a period exceeding ONE (1) year, during the course of the last THREE (3) years. Only requires to those over 16 (sixteen) years.
d) AFFIDAVIT of lack of criminal record in other countries (it will be produce in migration at the time of application for residence).
e) ENTRY. Country entry seal stamped to a travel document or migration card.

CERTIFICATE OF DOMICILE OR AN INVOICE OF ANY PUBLIC SERVICE WITH YOUR NAME (ABL, electricity, water or gas)
Settling tax: NON MERCOSUR $ 600
TWO 4X4 COLOR PHOTOS (It must be current, taken from the front, half bust, with the head completely uncovered, color, white even background, allowing appreciate faithfully and in all its fullness the holder's facial features when manage the procedure).

* If you are engage in academic activities registered under agreements signed between higher education institutions in specialized areas and under the center or institution's liability shall submit: contract signed by the parties, before notary public, body or institution contracting note in which is justified the hiring and employee curriculum vitae.

* Proof of the employer’s registration in the SINGLE REGISTRY OF FOREIGNERS APPLICANT OF THE NATIONAL DIRECTION OF MIGRATION (NDM Regulation no: 54618/08)

THE RESIDENCE TO GIVE WILL BE TEMPORARY OR TRANSITIONAL

IMPORTANT:
*All documents issued abroad must have the legalization of the Argentine Consulate, located in the country issuing the document Ministry of Foreign Affairs, International Trade and Worship, or Apostille, if the country has ratified the Hague Convention .
*Without detriment of that established on international agreements or conventions in force, any documents issued by consular representatives in the national territory must have the legalization of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, International Trade and Worship, except MERCOSUR.
*All documents issued in a foreign language must have the Spanish translation made by National Public Translator (Section 6 Law No. 20.305) and legalized by the Translators' Association.
*The documents submitted should be original and be accompanied by their respective copy, in order to proceed to their certification. The National Direction of Migration may require, if deemed necessary, additional documentation to those detailed before.

This info popped up when I clicked on the word student. The student visa requirements appear if you check on the word academic.

Here is the link: http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesibleingles/?nomercosur_temporaria

Even though you have a grant from the UK to do a research project in Argentina, it might be very difficult (if not impossible) to get an academic visa if there is no affiliation with an academic institution in Argentina.

How long are you planning to be here? If you are here with a tourist visa you will automatically have have residencia transitoria.
It can be extended for an additional 90 days at migraciones for $300 pesos.

Even if you overstay your tourist visa by a year or more, the fee for the overstay is only $300 pesos.

The cost of the academic visa is $600 pesos per year...plus the cost of gathering all of the documents as well as having them legalized and translated.

Bottom line: if you aren't going to be paid by an academic institution in Argentina there is no reason to get an academic visa.

you weren t specific enough. Under certain circumstances you migh be eligible for citizenship straigh for citizenship bypassing the 2 years rule. regards

I think the consulate is still in Birdcage Walk in Londres and it's not far from the FCO if that
hasn't moved?You can get your doc's legalised there in person the same day and then shoot over to the argie consulate with whatever they need for a visa prior to leaving,they
put it your passport,if that's what you think is best/easiest for you.suerte

Again, if you are not being paid in Argentina you don't need an academic visa and probably won't qualify for one.

If you fall in love with the country and want to stay forever then you can contact Dr. Rubilar and become a citizen.

mrporoto said:
most of the argies I know would rather not be a citizen!!

To finish your sentence would I be correct to add "of Argentina?"

If this is the case, and in your opinion, in which country do you think that they would like to become citizens?

Back