Obtaining your Newborn's Birth Certificate guide

ptolemy

Registered
On the subject of obtaining the birth certificate of a newborn of a foreigner...............................................................................................................

You have 40 days to do this after the birth, otherwise you will have to do an additional tramite for the birth being registered late. Some hospitals will do the entire birth certificate for you at the hospital,.. but you can not do this if you are a foreigner and do not have a “libreta de matrimonio”. Lucky you. It may be easier if one spouse is an Argentine, I would hope so, but I don't know. Here are the steps we went through.

1. 1. Choose a name for your child from the official state list. <http://www.buenosaires.gov.ar/registrocivil/nombres/busqueda/buscador_nombres.php?sexo=F&letra=A > ….. (Skip to step #10 if the name is not on the list.)

1. 2. After having given birth, you will receive a medical certificate from your doctor with the name you have chosen, doctor's seal, etc. Don't lose this flimsy looking document!

1. 3. You should have already made your appointment at your local registro civil for the birth certificate before the birth. You did this on-line here: http://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/areas/registrocivil/ (click on “solicitud de turno”). You have your printed turno.

1. 4. Go to the registry, husband ,wife and baby, with all necessary documents. Make copies of everything before-hand.

5. Necessary documents: passport or DNI of both parents, Marriage certificate if applicable (translated and apostilled) the medical certificate the doctor gave you and the turno; simple enough!

6. If you are not fluent, or they think you are not fluent in Castellano, you will be required to have an official translator present- ($300.) Find one before you go down.

7. Go to the registry office. Hand in your turno, fill in some paperwork, wait to be called and then you and your spouse will sign the dotted line, (after approving the spelling of the name, dates, etc. ) The wife will be asked a couple of embarrassing questions and both of you a few other statistical questions. You can go home now.

8. Wait 5-7 days, go back down to the registry and pick up the birth certificate in the same office. (I think only one of you is required for this.) Bring your passport or DNI ! Sign for the birth certificate and the DNI. (The DNI will not be registered in the system yet, so don't get all giddy thinking you'll get the passport tomorrow. That's another subject.)

9. You'll now be required to go upstairs to receive a stamp on the birth certificate, that says to go downstairs to the caja and pay $50. They will stamp it paid. (Actually, I'm not sure what it was we were paying for, I think it was for the foreign name. Anyway, I just wanted to get out of there.) You are finished! Your kid has a name! Don't lose this flimsy looking document! You'll need it to obtain the passport and at the airport every time you fly out of the country.
    ….................................................................................................................................................

10. If you are so unlucky,.. as to want to name your child, a name not on the official state list, it is possible to do so,.. though a very lengthy process. If it's only one suspicious name you are after, you may be lucky and get it, especially if it is on your birth certificate and you brought it with you. If there are two unofficial names, it is unlikely they will let it pass. You must submit proof that both names exists. (They will give you a form called “pedido de nombre” at the registro. You may have to ask for it. You may have to be insistent.) Parent's birth certificates are very useful if you plan to name your child after your mother or father. Submit them if applicable. The other names you may have chosen but are not accepted,...well it gets harder. You'll need a document from your embassy stating that the name actually exists and is of the appropriate gender. From my experience, the document from the US embassy is worthless,..but you can try. (It's also free.) If you are from UK, you must submit evidence to them that the name exists in the UK. Again your birth certificate may be helpful. Other than that, look up the offending foreign names in the UK census records, voting records, etc., on the net. Take the records you have found / print and submit to the UK embassy. You will pay $480 pesos to the UK embassy for their seal. Ok,..the registry accepts the UK document(?) Yes, they do. Submit all of your documentation to add to the awkward name form from the registry.

11. Now,..wait 30 to 40 days for the registry to do it's wonderful magic. You are supposed to phone them and ask after 40 days. (Yeah, that's a joke because you can rarely, if ever, get through on the phone.) Go down in person (to the registry,) in about 25-30 days and ask. You may have to go down a few more times. You may have to do some office work for them such as, go upstairs to a few offices and ask them if it's been done. When it's been verified and done go back to step#3.

Thanks for taking the time to do this! But... damn :( I do not remember going through that hell when my first was born ( ok, we were both Argentine the parents ) but now that my second will be born and the dad will be an expat with perm residency ( we got married here ) I wonder if we will have to go through this :p We are already having a hard time finding names that sound good in both languages... again... damn!!!

nikad said:
Thanks for taking the time to do this! But... damn :( I do not remember going through that hell when my first was born ( ok, we were both Argentine the parents ) but now that my second will be born and the dad will be an expat with perm residency ( we got married here ) I wonder if we will have to go through this :p We are already having a hard time finding names that sound good in both languages... again... damn!!!

You only have to go to the Registro Civil if you were not married in Argentina. If you have your Libreta, they can do it all for you at the hospital.

suerte con los nombres! estamos en la misma posicion, y es bastante dificil, como por lo menos la pronunciacion cambia y a veces aunque me gusta un nombre en castellano suena mal en ingles o vice versa.

Don't forget that you'll need to get your b cert officially translated and stamped by the colegio de traductores if you want to use it to apply for dual nationality (UK or US passport por ejemplo)...

nikad said:

I doubt you will have problems since you are an Argentine and you were married in Argentina. (But, if you have chosen a name not on the list,..well that's different and you may need a translator for your spouse. Seriously though, your spouse does not need to be fluent in Castellano. It is a simple form he has to read and sign. The registry is just covering it's ass, etc. but they may test him.)

ptolemy said:
I doubt you will have problems since you are an Argentine and you were married in Argentina. (But, if you have chosen a name not on the list,..well that's different and you may need a translator for your spouse. Seriously though, your spouse does not need to be fluent in Castellano. It is a simple form he has to read and sign. The registry is just covering it's ass, etc. but they may test him.)
Pffft we went through the whole interpreter bs when we got married at the civil register on Coronel Diaz and Beruti :p I want to desperately think that DH can read and comprehend Spanish after 7 years hehehe, you never know as we mostly speak in English at home ;)

nikad said:

ptolemy said:

If one of the parents is Argentine, married in Argentina, we have the doctor's paper and red marriage book, but for whatever reason the tramites were not done at the hospital, then:

1) Must the non-Argentine father be present in person?
2) Must the baby be present in person?
3) Both desired names are on the list, but one with slightly different spelling. Should we expect problems? Any suggestions for getting by?

Thanks a lot for posting up this thread and useful info!

Both the mother and father have to be present initially to sign the papers. As far as I know baby has to be there too. (Translator will be needed for father if necessary.) Picking up the birth certificate later that week ,..only one parent needed. (You can ask them what to do the first time you are there.) You may be lucky with the name spelling if it's only one. You may have to plead a bit.

Reactions: ben
Thanks! I'd heard that only one parent is needed - I'd have liked to stay away, just to skip the translator part. Though at the marriage I managed to convince them of my fluent Spanish - which was almost nonexistent at the time.

Just completed this for our Glasgowjohn Junior.

The baby does not have to be present for the inscription of the birth.

Both parents must be there but only one of them needs to go and pick up the DNI and the birth certificate.

We didn't pay anything.

Back