Ocean/river Swim?

I've fallen in the waters of the Delta while stand up canoeing and honestly it was refreshing and quiet nice in the summer. The water they drink or cook with in the Bayou Portenio of the Delta del Tigre is sometimes filtered using the same mud that turn those canals waters brown. After all it's upstream the city and irrigated by the huge torrent of the Parana with mostly untouched natural marshes immediately upstream (Lechiguanas Is).

Better river waters are found on the Left Bank of River, Colonia Department of Uruguay, there's a nice beach in Carmelo and another immediately east of Colonia (way to Riachuelo, Co)

If you want better, almost maritime beaches for swimming, Carrasco, a suburb east of Montevideo is quiet clean and as much sea as river estuary, you can see the color of the water changing with the tides, it's perfect for swimming, even light body surfing. It's located in an upscale neighborhood but only 15-20 mins city bus from cheaper overnight alternatives downtown.

Further travel while avoiding high prices or long distances would be either the entire Golden Coast of Uruguay: (Atlantida, Neptunia, Piriapolis)
or "Partido de la Costa" (Mar del Tuyu to Nueva Atlantis) which are the least expensive Argentine ocean beach towns closest to Buenos Aires.

I swim, as do many others, in the tigre delta whenever I go up there for the day or rent a cabin. There are plenty of beaches, or you can just swim by the pier where the lancha picks up. The water is brown with silt and there are many boats (oil), but I never heard of anyone getting sick from it. I don't do it in tigre city, the further out the better.

As Matt said above, the rio de la plata is fine on the Uruguayan side - whenever I go to Colonia I swim. There are lots of basically empty beaches, it's quite nice although of course fresh water and essentially no waves.

Realised I need to do a visa run so will be in Colonia for 2 nights next week, really enjoyed swimming there last time. Return on the ferry was 700pesos, pretty good value me thinks! Hostel 22 dollars for 2 nights, I'm pretty happy because I'm on a budget and remembered it costing more.

Might have to avoid these Camalotes (water lilies) though
https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

***********Photobucket is down and i can't figure out how to share/show the actual Google Drive image.*****************************
Puerto Olivos on Sunday

VEJVm57.jpg

Back