[October 26Th] Buenos Aires Celebra Italia - Av. De Mayo

Girino

Registered
I just wanted to remember to those interested that Buenos Aires celebra Italia is taking place this Sunday in Av. de Mayo y Bolivar (close to Cabildo), starting from 11 AM. Music, food, dance, regional culture.

This time, it won't be suspended in case of bad weather, but you are more likely to need just your sunglasses B)

10153746_585770731545011_10633967784084208_n.jpg

10678805_586998818088869_8998085630256659672_n.jpg

Prepare for disappointment!

(sorry, sorry, I'm really jaded :S )

Don't get me started... Recently there was a COMITES campaign. COMITES (I just learned) is a representative body of the Italians abroad. It is not a government office, rather a sort of advocacy group for Italian citizens abroad, who interacts with the consular office in Argentina to make heard the voice of the Italians living here.
They closed the Consulate for a few days to host these elections (!), and the daughter of one candidate posted on a group on Facebook called "Italiani a Buenos Aires" a message to ask to vote for his father.
Now, mind you, the group if for Italians in Buenos Aires, the COMITES represents them... what language would you choose for you propaganda....?!

Yeah, you guessed right.
If this man wants to represent me, and he can't communicate in Italian and he can't even post a message on Facebook on his own...
Well, so I lurked in the profile of the daughter, who is a musician. An Italian musician, it says, and being labeled as Italian they get funds to promote "Italian culture in the world". So there was this poster for a past even which was sponsored by Alitalia (!), EXPO 2015 (!!) and various other Italian associations. Of course, never heard of the girl before yesterday.

Do we really have money for that? These are people with double citizenship by blood who went to Italian just on vacation... if EVER.
I'd give up my citizenship if it wasn't so cool to hold and EU passport!

Now I don't even want to go to Buenos Aires celebra Italia anymore. I hate Italians, even abroad.

Don't get me started... Recently there was a COMITES campaign. COMITES (I just learned) is a representative body of the Italians abroad. It is not a government office, rather a sort of advocacy group for Italian citizens abroad, who interacts with the consular office in Argentina to make heard the voice of the Italians living here.
They closed the Consulate for a few days to host these elections (!), and the daughter of one candidate posted on a group on Facebook called "Italiani a Buenos Aires" a message to ask to vote for his father.
Now, mind you, the group if for Italians in Buenos Aires, the COMITES represents them... what language would you choose for you propaganda....?!

Yeah, you guessed right.
If this man wants to represent me, and he can't communicate in Italian and he can't even post a message on Facebook on his own...
Well, so I lurked in the profile of the daughter, who is a musician. An Italian musician, it says, and being labeled as Italian they get funds to promote "Italian culture in the world". So there was this poster for a past even which was sponsored by Alitalia (!), EXPO 2015 (!!) and various other Italian associations. Of course, never heard of the girl before yesterday.

Do we really have money for that? These are people with double citizenship by blood who went to Italian just on vacation... if EVER.
I'd give up my citizenship if it wasn't so cool to hold and EU passport!

Now I don't even want to go to Buenos Aires celebra Italia anymore. I hate Italians, even abroad.
well i don´t think you´ll find that many true italians living here, most died already. inmigration to arg stopped a long time ago. most voters are probably like that girl born here and holding double citizenship their italian is probably basic. and your government still gives them the right to vote so you can´t blame them.

I am not that angry about the vote, most of them don't care, the voting cards usually get in/out too late for their vote to be considered, anyway. Plus we have a representative system, so they maybe get one of two people out of 200 sitting in the Parliament.

But could you imagine a group for US citizens in Buenos Aires where everything is in Spanish? No way!
And Italians are always parading and showing off that they are Italians. You always hear "Oh, my grandma, she was Italian, from XXX, she used to cook me YYY, I still cook that, too, but I have never been to Italy, maybe one day...".
Yeah, okay, so this plate of pasta entitles you double citizenship for a plate for pasta?!

There are people living in Italy and struggling to get papers to stay in the country legally, and abroad they give out citizenship for free.
I am just pissed that being the common denominator of the COMITES the "Italianness", the language is not Italian. They are no help to me, if I cannot comunicate with them.
Let's call it "the representation of Italian descendants" but not of Italians. Let's make it a cultural association, but not a political representations of Italians abroad.

And you have to consider that for them to get a European citizenship, it just takes some old paperwork, whereas if you want to move to their country (I am speaking in general, not only about Argentina), you have to pull up the ropes, wait for years, ask for permits, etc. How is this fair?

Some examples: my MIL (in Italy) is currently helping an Argentinian lady to collect her long dead relatives' papers to get Italian citizenship. She has no real program to come to Italy, maybe she will come on holiday once just to say she used her passport. She doesn't know a thing about Italy, so if she even imagine to retire there, I doubt she knows how expensive it would be.

I had a class mate from Albania who had been in Italy for 10 years and had to present study papers every year to get his permit. When he finally met the requisite of continue presence in the country to ask for citizenship, it took the Italian government almost 2 years to take his application for review.
On this forum we read a post about a girl wanting to get married with a UK citizen, and she held Argentinian and Italian citizenships. In her situation, to marry in the UK on her Italian passport meant so little paperwork compared to marry as an Argentinian, but she was not familiar with the (little) Italian bureaucracy involved since "she never set foot in Italy".
What I say is: keep the bureaucracy occupied with those who ACTUALLY need the paperworks done quickly, not just for some Italian-descendant who want to have a passport with a red cover.

Recently, a €300 fee to apply for Italian citizenship was instituted to try to prevent people to apply for citizenship iure sanguining "leisurely". It caused flaming discussions about how this constitute a way to prevent them from their right to claim citizenship, etc.
Now, I hope it is clear why I am fed up with Italy and Italians.

Well, you should dig deep in your family root, I am sure you can find some European ancestor!

I am not that angry about the vote, most of them don't care, the voting cards usually get in/out too late for their vote to be considered, anyway. Plus we have a representative system, so they maybe get one of two people out of 200 sitting in the Parliament.

But could you imagine a group for US citizens in Buenos Aires where everything is in Spanish? No way!
And Italians are always parading and showing off that they are Italians. You always hear "Oh, my grandma, she was Italian, from XXX, she used to cook me YYY, I still cook that, too, but I have never been to Italy, maybe one day...".
Yeah, okay, so this plate of pasta entitles you double citizenship for a plate for pasta?!

There are people living in Italy and struggling to get papers to stay in the country legally, and abroad they give out citizenship for free.
I am just pissed that being the common denominator of the COMITES the "Italianness", the language is not Italian. They are no help to me, if I cannot comunicate with them.
Let's call it "the representation of Italian descendants" but not of Italians. Let's make it a cultural association, but not a political representations of Italians abroad.

And you have to consider that for them to get a European citizenship, it just takes some old paperwork, whereas if you want to move to their country (I am speaking in general, not only about Argentina), you have to pull up the ropes, wait for years, ask for permits, etc. How is this fair?

Some examples: my MIL (in Italy) is currently helping an Argentinian lady to collect her long dead relatives' papers to get Italian citizenship. She has no real program to come to Italy, maybe she will come on holiday once just to say she used her passport. She doesn't know a thing about Italy, so if she even imagine to retire there, I doubt she knows how expensive it would be.

I had a class mate from Albania who had been in Italy for 10 years and had to present study papers every year to get his permit. When he finally met the requisite of continue presence in the country to ask for citizenship, it took the Italian government almost 2 years to take his application for review.
On this forum we read a post about a girl wanting to get married with a UK citizen, and she held Argentinian and Italian citizenships. In her situation, to marry in the UK on her Italian passport meant so little paperwork compared to marry as an Argentinian, but she was not familiar with the (little) Italian bureaucracy involved since "she never set foot in Italy".
What I say is: keep the bureaucracy occupied with those who ACTUALLY need the paperworks done quickly, not just for some Italian-descendant who want to have a passport with a red cover.

Recently, a €300 fee to apply for Italian citizenship was instituted to try to prevent people to apply for citizenship iure sanguining "leisurely". It caused flaming discussions about how this constitute a way to prevent them from their right to claim citizenship, etc.
Now, I hope it is clear why I am fed up with Italy and Italians.

I got an Italian passport many years ago via my nonnos who were Italian and immigrated to Argentina. I completely understand your frustration at them handing out Italian passports to those who will never live in Italy as if they were candy versus those who work or study in Italy and can't get residence. I admit, I got my passport in less than a year. My dream would be to live in Italy, but as you mentioned previously, it's very expensive to reside there. That being said, personally I feel the passport helps me feel emotionally connected to my roots and my nonnos. I'm hoping my dream will come true and I'll be able to live there some day.

I went to Buenos Aires celebra Italia this morning and I am glad that I did so I won't be tempted in the future.

Just 1 booth for north Italy (Friuli) and the rest all for the Center and South of Italy. Several distinct booths for small towns in Calabria/Sicilia never heard of.
Expensive fiambres and quesos (same price as in Italy, but they were produced here and not imported from Italy).

Ate a calabrese dish I never heard of (pipi e patate), was tempted by a sfogliatella (the shell was okay, but why did they put crema pastelera inside?!), bough a piece of fresh cheese from a calabrese stand because it was very tasty (but expensive) and a bottle of tomato sauce because it cost like in the supermarkets (still to open).

All of the stands selling cannoli indeed had smaller version (half the original) filled with crema pastelera or something brown (I couldn't tell if it was chocolate or dulce de leche), whereas the original have a mix of ricotta and pieces of candied fruits.

I didn't identify at all with them. I might as well ask to become a citizen of Zaquistan and move to Utah.

Back