OFF Needed for Litterbugs

sheawj

Registered
I know I am beating a dead horse here, but I get so frustrated at the amount of trash on the streets and sidewalks. I know a lot of this is has to do with the cardboard collectors, but a more than fair amount is just trash thrown by pedestrians.
On Friday I saw the driver of a waiting ambulance dump a pile of wrappers out the window. This morning I saw a woman toss her empty cigarette pack on the ground, and I said, "Oh I think you dropped something back there," rather rudely and pointed to it. Thirty seconds later, literally, a man was peeling old posters off a pole and threw them under a car parked nearby. Now I am on Alvear, and saw a well dressed woman toss a paper on the sidewalk.

WHY?????!

Welcome to the frustrations of living in Buenos Aires. I think it's just a cultural thing and a lack of education about protecting the environtment as well as keeping it clean (not sure why there's such a disconnect on the latter... maybe it's a mob mentality thing). It reminds me of the US before the "give a hoot" and similar campaigns really changed things for the better. During certain conversations I've had with locals, it's come to their notice that they frequently don't think of garbage in the same way. Almost an "out of sight out of mind" mentality. But once you start talking to your local friends and start to lead by example you can see a difference, albeit a small one.

On another note, the situation is MUCH better now (hard to believe right?) than it was when I arrived in 2006. The "Jugá Limpio" campaign also had a positive effect, though it's more likely to see results in the younger vs. older generations....

Public education. Sounds like the US had that, and Australia had a huge campaign for a number of years in the 70s. Humans are lazy, and it takes anlot of work to change habits.

The question is of course, does the government here have the $$$ for that kind of campaign, would need to run for a few years to have any lasting impact, and incorporate school education too?

Buenos Aires!! ... ironic name for this city. :)

Maleducados is the right word. Everyone knows you shouldn't throw wrappers on the ground or throw soda cups out your window, they just don't care. I don't think a campaign is going to change that... heavy fines might, but then there'd be rioting about being oppressed by the government. I was actually shocked to see a plastic recycling container the other day - I was convinced they didn't exist here.

There's things you can teach... like not pouring chemicals down drains because it's dangerous, or not burning your trash because it's dirty, or getting into a habit of recycling. But then there's things that are just plain common sense and courtesy - like don't throw your garbage on the ground. That's not a lack of education, that's bad upbringing and habit. Argies in general aren't very clean.

There are piles of trash outside the villas in the area, and I asked why they didn't have a container? If they're going to be throwing trash, might as well have a place for it... I was told that most likely the container would be stolen, or people wouldn't use it. So I asked why doesn't the city at least clean it up? The answer I got was that it'd be the same the next day. I don't know what you can do with people like that.

That's one of my main gripes with Buenos Aires - it's filthy!! How people can stand to live next to piles of garbage is beyond me.

get the cartoneros to use special plastic bags and insist they rebag the trash with these so they are not torn open again and the place will be a whole lot cleaner.

will never happen though.

I don't know if I understand the "out of sight, out of mind" rationale. I mean if you are walking down the street, surely you see it if you are looking in front of you. I just think this is a result of the larger culture which is completely unconcerned with people/places/events that are not in their immediate world. If you are not a close friend or family member, I just don't really care that much.

Trash on the streets sounds like a big problem. It's unsightly and it smells. Talking about smell......what about the dog poop? I love dogs but please.... pick up the turds!!! I heard a person can forget about wearing shoes indoors. Perhaps rubber boots will be the next big fashion trend?

Lee said:
I have seen people drop trash right in front of an empty trash can...impossible to explain...I can only think that they are thinking that there is already so much trash what difference will it make. Sad thinking.
Yes, I witnessed this myself for the first time 2 years ago at the Retiro station. A man threw garbage in a hallway when there was a garbage can right there. Just makes no sense to me.

If you don't like it here, why don't you just leave?....

Ha, just joking! Most of the trash cans in my barrio have the bases literally hanging out so they're useless anyway.

Back