OFF Needed for Litterbugs

I think that things have improved in the last ten years. Public service ads help, but it takes time. I remember a time in the USA when most people threw trash out of their car windows.

I think one of the reasons things have changed for the better over the last 4 or 5 years at least is because the city government decided to put rubbish bins on every single corner instead of every second, and on both traffic lights on the same side of an intersection (two bins on each corner!). Now, to cross 9 de julio at Santa Fe, I pass 8 or 9 rubbish bins. It´s made a difference to those lazy people who won´t walk 5 steps out of their way to put something in the bin, but it´ll never make a difference for those who drop rubbish right in front of the bin anyway.

CarverFan said:
If you don't like it here, why don't you just leave?....

Ha, just joking!

When I first saw this, I was getting all fired up until I realized it was a joke. Good one! :D

I recall a number of experiments where a section of a street was completely cleaned.
Every time somebody dropped litter, it was picked up immediately.
At the end of the day the number of dropped items was counted.

On the same weekday the same section of the street was littered with a certain large number of items.
At the end of the day the number of new items was counted.

The two experiments were repeated a few times.

The number of new items in the 'littered street' experiments was more than twelvefold what it had been in the 'clean street' experiments. Dirt attracts dirt, obviously because "when everybody else does it, why shouldn't I?"

captainmcd said:
I think that things have improved in the last ten years. Public service ads help, but it takes time. I remember a time in the USA when most people threw trash out of their car windows.
Same in Australia, which proves that a concerted public campaign over a number of years does make a difference. Not sure what it would take to have it occur here though... a miracle?

There has been a campaign. It's called "Jugá Limpio". There are also far more trash bins and recycling containers around the city. Just the other day I saw a lightbulb recycling campaign inside the Edesur (electricity services) office. It is happening, it's just slow.

As far as the campaign reaching the provinces... not sure. I was impressed by the cleanliness of Salta region, but know that they are heavily focused on tourism and that may be a motivation for them.

MizzMarr said:
... I was impressed by the cleanliness of Salta region, but know that they are heavily focused on tourism and that may be a motivation for them.
An important motivation in the province towns (e.g. here in Mendoza) is, that your dog doesn't sh*t on and you don't drop litter on the sidewalk - but on somebody's sidewalk.

If Sr. Yanez's dog or he himself litters Sra. Gutierrez's sidewalk, he'll hear no end of it until he cleans up after dog or self. As for dogsh*t I saw one only two days ago - they are very rare. Even the dogwalkers with 8-9-10 dogs carry pickup bags or get abused by the owners of the sidewalks.

John.St said:
The number of new items in the 'littered street' experiments was more than twelvefold what it had been in the 'clean street' experiments. Dirt attracts dirt, obviously because "when everybody else does it, why shouldn't I?"

This is so true.. Have you ever noticed how clean a cleaned/looked after/nice smelling toilet/washroom is, especially in places like airports or new malls.. but run-down and dirty just get more disgusting because people dont care..

As for BSAS and the rubbish, i couldnt believe it when i first arrived here in 2007 and a friend took me for a walk to the ecological reserve one sunday.. Its was a joke, plastic soda bottles with lots of other rubbish everywhere.. no wonder there isnt many animals in the reserve !!!!!!!!

Back