Officially Done with BA

Thank you for posting this, and for honestly telling us you opened the door for them. In my building, with what appears to be nothing but 27 apartments filled with nice Argentina people, I could get careless and a reminder might help.

I have Argentina friends that I appreciate. They told me no matter what happens do not open the door. People will dump water so it runs under your door so that you will open the door to see why your place is flooding, or they will even do something to cause fire under the door. I've been told a number of tricks for which I am to NEVER OPEN THE DOOR! I have a wonderful portero and if anyone comes to my apartment for legitimate reason, I can look out the peep hole and Guillermo will be standing there in the distance but where I can see him. So long as Guillermo is trustworthy . . . that just occurred to me to wonder. But I think he is.

One more comment, Yanqui, I would call the police in a heartbeat. They may not do anything but I would still do my part in reporting it.

It is true the police seem not to want to make reports. I had my wallet stolen out of my purse on the Subte. To you who have had encounters with ladrones, I had such pleasant experiences in BA for so long that I became careless. They got my wallet right out of my purse and I didn't even miss it until the next day.

I went to the police and they INSISTED on having the report say I lost the wallet. I was told by a local that it is because it is an entirely different procedure if it was picked than if I "lost" it. So to avoid having to do all that they want to call it "lost."

Yanqui, I would like to know the address and apartment # of the apartment you rented. I would also like the name of the propietaria. This incident MUST be made known so that people don't rent from her anymore. Anybody who owns an apartment, rents it out and shrugs off an armed assault to protect HERSELF is SELFISH and should be ostracized.

trennod said:
Arent you just the model citizen on how to avoid a robbery.

You did kick him when he was down, if you think you didnt mean to then you must be stupider than you appear.

They might have got in anyway. Happens all the time. Surely you have learnt that about Argentina.

Thanks, I agree, have not been robbed here in 9 years.

I did not kick him when he was down, I just did not fawn over him and make a fuss. He learned a hard lesson,,, I hope. "They may have gotten in anyway" Ummm did you read my post, I said the same thing, no??? Ok now who is the stupid one?

I have learned as opposed to "learnt" that stealing is taught to the young here in preschool all the way past University level. I keep that in mind when going about my day.

Class dismissed.

I wouldn't say 'stealing' is taught here Mitch, there is certainly an underpinning opportunistic subtext to the culture and not being vigilante is seen as a weakness which Darwinism will either have you adapt to or disappear from.

Similar characteristics can be drawn from many other nations across the world. In the UK, for example, people cannot speak freely without fear of insulting someone - occasionally being fined or serving time as a result (See recent Paul Chambers Twitter case for example) or in the US peacefully protest without being pepper-sprayed in the face or shot (San Francisco's US Davis university incident and Oscar Grant/Rodney King inspired riots).

It's just part of the adventure of life to roll with the punches when you can and occasionally get knocked for six.

Now the fact that decent folk like YanquiGallego can get guns pulled on them, in their own homes, and everyone wants to sweep it under the carpet whilst the motorways/highways are crammed full of police focused on traffic - that's something which everyone in BA would like to be addressed properly.

Thanks YanquiGallego for sharing your ordeal with us, it sounds like an awful thing to go through and from what I've heard is something on the increase all over the province to both locals and visitors to Argentina alike.

Mitch said:
I have learned as opposed to "learnt" that stealing is taught to the young here in preschool all the way past University level. I keep that in mind when going about my day.

Not a fan of British spelling myself but either you don't know that that spelling's correct or you're just being immature here.

Yanqui sorry to hear about what you went through. Mistakes happen (like opening the door without checking who it was), it doesn't make it your fault that you got robbed.

I hope you're much happier and safer in Santiago (or wherever else you decide to go).

And please let the rest of the people here know where you were living in BsAs so we can all avoid that building like the plague!

Gallego, so sorry to hear about what happened to you. That is terrible. I hope Santiago has better horizons for your new life. In BA I have learned that unless I am expecting someone, I do not EVER answer the door or buzzer. I have found that in 99.99999% of the situations, I do not want to talk to the person who is ringing my bell, so I just let them go away. If it is important, they can leave me a note. Never is my bell rung for the purpose of me gaining anything, always it is rung to bother me or get something from me, so I just ignore them. So far it works pretty good.

Adios_USA said:
Never is my bell rung for the purpose of me gaining anything, always it is rung to bother me or get something from me, so I just ignore them. So far it works pretty good.

How would you know if you don't answer? I was at your apartment 3 days ago with Publisher's Clearinghouse Argentina with a big check and since you didn't answer the door we had to give the $1 million pesos to your neighbor. :D

First of all I am sorry, being from Mexico City I know how scary and bad this is... Second of all do file a report with the police. This is no random incident. You were targeted and it is an inside job. Your land lady might even be involved.... She sounds fishy.

Back