Officially Done with BA

I wish you a speedy recovery and hope you find in Santiago a place that is supportive and civilized.

My experience was that in some areas when looking around I felt like I was in Portland, OR. It was the most first world place I've seen in all of latin america.

Remarkably and happily they generally follow the rules of the road, treat each other with respect and don't throw their garbage (or their dog shit) in their public places.

Best of good fortune to you there.

Mitch said:
You opened your door without asking who it is and without looking in the peephole? As far as I can remeber I have never done that in my life. What you did I would consider Russian Roulette. I am not blaming the victim, but if you lived here 2 years and got your Rolex stolen in the street, you would not get my sympathies either.

Yes, its not a smart thing to do here, however i come from a town where this stuff doesnt happen, and when someone rings the door bell we just open it, dont even have a peephole, and here i would probably do the same thing as its ingrained/a normal reaction, and because i am in a "securer building". So maybe the OP is similar to me and wouldnt even think before opening the door !!!!

I'm really sorry to hear this. I'm guessing you/your landlady do not have renter's insurance? If you are young (i.e. under 25) you might even be covered under your parents' homeowners insurance, if they have that. My laptop was stolen in Germany from my apartment when I was 24, and I was able to file a claim (with a German police report) using my mother's homeowner's insurance in the United States.

I think your decision to move is a good one. Armed robbery inside your home can't be an easy thing to get over, it's best to move on. Best of luck in Santiago!

BednBreakfast said:
You can't win here. Our robber got in through the front and inner doors, someone must have given him keys, possibly the cleaner, although she was with us 4 years and I thought she was a friend. Someone was ribbing me for posting an ad offering cleaning work for expats, well that's the reason why!!

That was me ribbing you. :)

On another note, leaving your keys to the cleaning lady is a really bad idea, as you learned. They are not your friend, no matter how long they have worked for you. When all is said and done you finish the day in a sparkly clean home and they go back to unpaved roads and leaky ceilings in the villa.

No matter how nice you are or how much you pay them they will always resent you. And remember, people don't view it as stealing here... it is "redistribution of the wealth".

sorry to hear this. I lived before in Barcelona where robbery -"tirones"- are common in the centre but the difference is that violence while the robbery is much more common in Argentina.
Strange that I never felt so unsecured as in BsArs in so called dangerous countries like El Salvador and Colombia. This and the outrageous prices in BsArs made me leave Argentina. Good luck in Santiago!

I'm really sorry that this happened to you. How horrible of an experience it must have been. DEFINITELY I'd agree with the others that you should officially report this. You may think it's not doing any good but at least report it.

I agree with the others, it's getting worse in Buenos Aires with all the hassles, red tape, currency controls, inflation and now crime. The two reasons listed on the only good reasons to stay I totally agree with.

It just doesn't make sense anymore from many perspectives if you have the chance to move abroad. Several years ago, you could argue the quality of life in Buenos Aires was excellent and the red tape and hassles were worth it because it was so affordable. Now, it's not affordable and there is even MORE red tape and hassles.

Also, I forgot to ask.....does this building have a 24/7 security guard? Where was he when they left the building? Didn't he see these guys? Also, if the building is high end luxury modern building in Palermo as you say.... does the building have security cameras in the building, entrance or elevator? Many do so you should definitely report the incident.

And if the security guard was negligent in letting these thugs in, the building may be liable as well and might be responsible in helping to pay for these things or have insurance for it. (Yeah, a longshot but I'd still check about this).

I can't see why if there was 24 hour security something like this happened. Definitely report it and find out about these things....

Actually I never gave keys to anyone, and that's another warning to others: Never leave keys lying around! I do recall a set that went missing for a couple of days and then miraculously turned up. Maybe someone borrowed them to take a copy. Lesson learned the hard way!

I echo the empathy expressed by others for your misfortune.
Not only would I report the incident to the police (fingerprints must be all over the place if the thieves didn't wear gloves), but I would report the landlady's comments to the condo association via the sindicato of the building. She needs to be replaced whether or not she had anythig to do with the crime.

I'm so sorry to read about your robbery, I agree with ElQueso's sentiments and hope that you find peace and happiness soon.

Back