Okra - Where To Get

Okra is next to kale in your produce section.

We have looked for okra for 10 years -- brought a few pods from the U.S. to show verdulerias and friends, used the name 'quimbombó,' but no one seemed to have ever seen or heard of it. Will try these leads -- thanks!

add another name to the list: Bamias .
Found some references to okra in recipes in lanacion and they mentioned chaucha bamia or bamia.... :huh:

@#%$#.... they have a million different names for the same damd thing. Have the same problem when I'm looking for certain tools too. The translations online are a joke. Next time I'm going out with a picture in hand. :p

is okra avbl in any other latin american country ..like easily?

Just spent a few hours looking around Palermo in the Armenian shops, and seriously... my head does not store all the possible names of things when I go shopping for them on a whim:

Okra, Quimbombó, Quingombó, Chaucha Turca, Ají turco, Gumbo, Gombo, Algalia, Angelonia, Ocra, Yerba de culebra , Hibiscus esculentus = Abelmoschus esculentus.

I found okra on mercadoLibre in the form of seeds to grow it at home (which i will get anyways), but in the meantime, the plan is to make gumbo next weekend.

Has anyone come across okra in the last week?

Never came across it, there have been people noting it is seasonally available at some markets in Barrio Chino, never heard of it being available elsewhere.

Surprise, surprise!! Today I found four packs of okra seeds that I bought from Miami in March.
I am planning to plant them in September and see what happens!

add another name to the list: Bamias .
Found some references to okra in recipes in lanacion and they mentioned chaucha bamia or bamia.... :huh:

@#%$#.... they have a million different names for the same damd thing. Have the same problem when I'm looking for certain tools too. The translations online are a joke. Next time I'm going out with a picture in hand. :p

Bamia is the Arabic name, but when it came up in an Arabic class years ago, the professor had no clue what it was. He thought it was like a jalepeño!

Back