Olive oil

Christine

Registered
I am getting ready for the big move to BA in August, and wondering about the quality of olive oil. I have only visited once but didn't scout the grocery very closely. Do I need to bring some with me? Thanks!

I remember there being almost as many olives as there were grapes in Mendoza! And combined with a huge Italian influence in Capital Federal I'd bet you'll find some of the finest extra virgin in the world!But I'm not there yet either so someone with the knowledge will hopefully confirm.

I don't use olive oil so I can't speak for the quality but I have been living here for a few months and there is a HUGE selection of olive oils in any supermarket you even think of going to in B.A. I would imagine that some of them would have to be of a good quality. If you are thinking of trying to get something that you won't be able to easily find here think about peanut butter, cheddar cheese, pancake mix, and brand name maple syrups that you are accustomed to.

Thanks! Yes I just learned about the no-cheddar-cheese situation, I don't eat it that often but I am sure that I will start craving it since it is unavailable.

Olive oil is one of Argentina's best proiducts. Cheddar cheese DOES exist here. I used to buy it at Disco but it was not always easy to find. Now I go to specialty shops. You have only one type, however.

Cheddar Cheese, is available at Jumbo in Palermo, at the counter for hams and pickles, not blocks but sliced.

if you know anything about cooking then you'll find the quality of argentine olive oil extremely poor. it's also very expensive. you can get some of spain and italy's finest olive oils in english supermarkets for 3/4 of the price charged for argentine oil in argentine supermarkets. argentine oil is extremely bland, last week i bought a supposedly 'spicy' and high quality oil and it had almost no taste (but it least it had some taste). your best bet (if you're seriously interested in getting decent oil) is to buy imported extra virgin oil in falabella. they have a range of italian and spanish oils that are of a far higher quality than their argentine counterparts.

I was not referring to sliced processed "cheddar" cheese but the real thing. I used to buy in in Disco. It came in a ball, like a lot of the cheese from Tandil. I assure you it is the real thing. Disco may not carry this anymore. I am not sure. You can get it at al queso queso. I am surprised to hear criticism of local olive oil. I buy extra virgin (Bells produces a quality product) but maybe some of the others out there are more expert on the subject than I.

I also must be a snob, because I am one of those people who sorely misses REAL cheddar cheese. No, I don't have to stock up on things that can be bought here although I certainly have some things that I miss and try to get when I can. I think it comes down to things that you grew up with and miss.
I used to manage a cheese counter in the States, and consider myself a cheese snob. Yes, there are some excellent Argentine cheeses available, but I'm sorry there is no real cheddar. I have eaten cheddar since I was a kid so for me it's something I really miss. Actually, if we really want to talk about cheese, in reality the States and Argentina pale in cheese selections when compared to the variety available in Europe. Now, for those of us who have are foodies or who happen to have incredible cravings sometime for certain favorite foods then that is ok. I happen to be one of those people who has a distinct sadness that REAL cheddar is not available here. Regarding olive oils: I think that there are actually some good olive oils here, but my preference usually tends towards first cold pressed oils and I tend to buy the more expensive ones. I don't particularly like the Spanish oils I've had as I've found them to be quite bitter. I've seen some great Italian oils and yes they are pricy but if you really enjoy food then they are worth the splurge, and then you can always pick up a cheaper oil for cooking.

Back