One-way car rental to Ushuaia? (anyone wants to share the trip?)

GermanFamily

Registered
Dear community,

I'm looking for a one-way car rental from Buenos Aires to Patagonia, starting around December 22, 2022, arriving in Patagonia (Ushuaia or somewhere else quite south) in early February 2023, so about a six-week trip. We'll then fly back from Ushuaia.

Seems quite hard (impossible/extremely expensive), any good recommendations for one-way car rentals for a longer period of time?

Or: Anyone up to 'sharing' this trip? Either renting a car together (and you do the return from early February, heading back North again), or if you have a car yourself, and willing to lend it to us for six weeks one-way, I am willing to pay $2.000-$5.000 (depending on the car) for it. I'm 45, experienced driver with zero accidents in my life.

Thanks, Tim

Dear community,

I'm looking for a one-way car rental from Buenos Aires to Patagonia,

Hi Tim,

You will have to cross through Chilean territory and special paperwork is required to drive a rented car out of the country.

Since you are doing something unusual, don't believe what the rental agency tells you. Most likely, they don't have the car that they promised you or even if they do, some kind of problem pops up at the latest moment.

It may be much cheaper to drive it back yourself.

Last edited:
yeah, you need to specifically look for rentals that allow you to leave the country. i'm not sure if that's easy or even possible.

otherwise, renting from the big agencies is fine, i have never had any problems. but renting from BsAs will cost you a fortune, as will renting in the city of ushuaia.

Hi Tim,

are you travelling by yourself?

No, we're 4 people (including me), so it shouldn't be a super-tiny car (but other than that, I am not picky)

@Everyone:
And yeah, I am very aware of the border restrictions. Also, I know that it'll be the cheapest to drive it back myself, but that'll be very time-consuming. Thus my request here in this forum.

No, we're 4 people (including me), so it shouldn't be a super-tiny car (but other than that, I am not picky)

@Everyone:
And yeah, I am very aware of the border restrictions. Also, I know that it'll be the cheapest to drive it back myself, but that'll be very time-consuming. Thus my request here in this forum.

Doesn't the border restriction take lending a private vehicle off the table? At least with an Argentine plated vehicle.

Doesn't the border restriction take lending a private vehicle off the table? At least with an Argentine plated vehicle.
No. There is no restriction for driving automobiles into Chile. I believe you just need adequate insurance, and all the regular auto paperwork which is also required in argentina. For car rental enterprises, they only have a certain number of insurance policies for that type of trip. When you rent they hand you the extra paperwork folder and explain what is needed for the crossing.

A mini-van seems like a better idea for two adults and two kids with all the luggage. It's an adventure.

What will you do when the rental breaks down or has a flat tire on a deserted highway?

We assume that the boys will write a journal about their adventure through Argentina.

What will you do when the rental breaks down or has a flat tire on a deserted highway?

If the rental breaks down in Neuquen or la Pampa you may be 100 kmts. from the nearest village . If you have cell signal, you may call the rental ofice during daytime , they may be able to dispatch a towtruck . Nighttime who knows ? Heavy winter clothing may be required for the wait.

Back