online purchases from outside Argentina

dx.com has been pretty good for me too, i've bought some dirt cheap hdmi connectors that would cost shit loads more here, they arrived no problems with no customs added tax.

It also takes 3-6 weeks for anything to arrive from china though.

I've had large boxes of used clothes shipped. Never had a problem at Retiro. They stamped my slip and away I went.

I was sent 2 light jackets from Europe in 2010. Had to pick them up from the DHL office on Corrientes and pay USD117 in customs fees for the privilege.

so far so good for me.... ordered from the Amazon US, books, using AR credit card. Delivered straight to my office.

Flay said:
Hi,
I'm hoping someone who has bought products online from outside Argentina can help me with this query. If I buy a product, from Amazon for example, with my UK credit card and have it delivered to an address in Buenos Aires, will it be delivered with no problems or will there be customs issues, ie: I will have to go and collect it from aduana and pay an import tax/VAT etc?
Thanks

Wow, you guys are all living in a different Argentina to the one I live in!

I stopped ordering stuff from Amazon and even had to stop my family sending gifts for my son because I got tired of things going missing. After 7 consecutive parcels not showing up (toys and clothing for a 4 year old mainly) it was time to give up.

Prior to that, I'd bought a load of second hand baby clothes and sent them to myself 3 years ago and had to go to the aduana at Ezeiza, where they tried to extort 6 times the value of the clothes from me (I had all the receipts). I left empty handed.

And now I'm about to make my first trip back home in 3 years and I'm going to have to pay 15% extra for everything I buy whilst I'm there, let alone anything I want to bring back!

DavieW said:

I stopped ordering stuff from Amazon and even had to stop my family sending gifts for my son because I got tired of things going missing. After 7 consecutive parcels not showing up (toys and clothing for a 4 year old mainly) it was time to give up.

Prior to that, I'd bought a load of second hand baby clothes and sent them to myself 3 years ago and had to go to the aduana at Ezeiza, where they tried to extort 6 times the value of the clothes from me (I had all the receipts). I left empty handed.

And now I'm about to make my first trip back home in 3 years and I'm going to have to pay 15% extra for everything I buy whilst I'm there, let alone anything I want to bring back!

Have you done something to make CFK angry with you?

DavieW said:

jeff1234 said:
Have you done something to make CFK angry with you?

I'm only too familiar with what DavieW says to be the rule and not the exception.

My experience is that packages under 1 kilo gets delivered to your door as long as the dimensions are "normal" for the postman. For packages sent from family or friends, tell them not to write your address by hand. It is better to write it down on your computer and print for easy reading and boring looking package. If the package is a padded envelope, it might be a good idea that the sender put see through box sealing tape to make it hard for the customs/post-office people to "accidently" open. If that happens your package will arrive really really late inside a plastic bag and with note saying that the package was broken when it arrived and that it has nothing to do with Correo Argentino.
Dont expect any package to arrive earlier than 3 weeks. Usuallly my packages arrives to Argentina and gets stamped at Ezeiza within 2-3 days, then they have to do like everything else here and wait for somebody to do their job.

"That´s what you get for expecting me to do the job for which I am paid to do" - Homer Simpson

Farenheit said:
I receive small packages at the door from my mum in UK containing t-shirts and books. She uses plain padded envelopes and the weight is usually under 500g, she marks the customs slip as gift. No problems this year, have received 4 or 5.

Same here. My parents have mailed me books, a computer battery, gifts, new baby clothes, cupcake liners, spices...but always in small padded envelopes. I have them sent to my office where there's always a doorman. I have had a book arrive just fine from Amazon as well, but normally I just ship to my parents first and they send it to me. In 5.5 years I've never gone to Retiro or EZE. (would knock on wood if there were any around) Good luck.

If the sender writes "sample" or "samples" on the package, that can help for something small. Recently I received two pakages of seeds from the UK with all sorts of stuff that you cant find here (rhubarb, mangetout etc,) and it has all germinated and is growing well. Amazingly, one package made it to my doorstep in 7 days and I don't even live in Cap. Fed. Am I looking forward to that rhubarb crumble or what.

Back