online purchases from outside Argentina

Markgeezer said:
If the sender writes "sample" or "samples" on the package...

I went with a friend of mine to Ezeiza, where he went to pick up some controller circuit boards (something standard. I'm not a hardware guy, don't remember what he called them) mailed to him from a company in China via DHL.

He had the company in China declare them as "samples." Which is exactly what they were - he was buying a few to see what he wanted to order in quantity.

I won't go into the three trips and stupid crap we went through to get these boards. Once through the tedium was enough.

However, the biggest problem we had was that the boards were marked "sample."

When we went into the little office with three desks and enough space for three people, maybe, to stand comfortably, the first thing the aduana lady asked was "do you have a business here?"

When we said "no" she pointed to a notice taped on the door (and was also outside in the hall where people wait to get called). Very explicitly were the categories of what fell under business items and what fell under pesonal items. "Samples" was near the top of the list, apparently a common thing to for packages to get hung up on when going to Ezeiza.

This problem had nothing to do with the cargo being electronics, according to the aduana lady we talked to. Repeatedly.

BTW - the circuit boards were worth about U$D 5.00 each, and there were 3 of them. It cost him U$D 180 to get the boards out of customs. That included U$D 60.00 from DHL to get authorization for him to deal directly with customs, and U$D 120.00 for various fees to get the "Samples" through. My buddy can be hard-headed and decided on principle to not let them have the boards, to pay whatever it took to get them out. Personally, I would have left them there.

I wouldn't mark anything "sample".

Electronic circuit boards sent via DHL is obviously a very different situation from seeds sent in the regular post. It sucks that DHL got a an extra cut out of it from your buddy.

DavieW said:
Wow, you guys are all living in a different Argentina to the one I live in!

I stopped ordering stuff from Amazon and even had to stop my family sending gifts for my son because I got tired of things going missing. After 7 consecutive parcels not showing up (toys and clothing for a 4 year old mainly) it was time to give up.

Prior to that, I'd bought a load of second hand baby clothes and sent them to myself 3 years ago and had to go to the aduana at Ezeiza, where they tried to extort 6 times the value of the clothes from me (I had all the receipts). I left empty handed.

And now I'm about to make my first trip back home in 3 years and I'm going to have to pay 15% extra for everything I buy whilst I'm there, let alone anything I want to bring back!

My experience is much the same as this..
I've had several small, plain packages (in padded envelopes) go missing over the years (from the UK) and know plenty of people that have had to go to Ezeiza and pay through the teeth just to release items like sweets, used clothes, books, etc. My last package (of PG tips tea!) arrived without any problems, however...although I had to go to the correo to collect it. I think its a matter of luck, more than anything else, as to whether your mail will arrive and how much you'll be charged. I tell people not to bother sending me anything anymore...unless its an emergency, like the tea.

i've found anything sent via dhl / fedex always end up stuck with huge taxes added.

things sent via the normal post seem to arrive no problems.

Hmmm. We have a gift voucher for Amazon, i assume we are going to get taxed on whatever we buy?

A gift that you pay taxes for ! Ayayayay.

Markgeezer said:
Electronic circuit boards sent via DHL is obviously a very different situation from seeds sent in the regular post. It sucks that DHL got a an extra cut out of it from your buddy.

This did not only include electronic items, as I mentioned. According to the aduana, anything marked "sample" requires a whole different set of crap. Whether or not they enforce it all the time is up to them, obviously, but mark "sample" at your own risk.

I just, for the first time, had a book held up on my regular shipment of mail from the States. About 20 envelopes with various subject matter, but all documents and one hard-cover book, all declared as such. It's sitting at Ezeiza and I'll probably leave the U$D 28 book there.

Customs is weird these days.

scotttswan said:
i've found anything sent via dhl / fedex always end up stuck with huge taxes added.

things sent via the normal post seem to arrive no problems.

I've never had a book held up with DHL. I've been getting shipments from the States, from USABox via DHL, for 6 years steady, once a month, and have never had anything held up except a power cord for my laptop once (and I was warned about that, fair enough).

BTW - the circuit boards were generic boards, unassembled electronic components, for use in controlling machinery. Supposedly they didn't fall under controlled items.

My book is specifically supposed to be covered, from what I understand, under an international convention that exempts tariffs on books imported not for resale.

I had a Kindle sent from Amazon by FEd Ex or whatever courier they use and someone showed up at my door with a tax on the Kindle that was higher than the amount I paid for the Kindle!!!! I was blown away. I sucked it up and paid it.

I have had small packages sent such as a small perfume bottle by regular mail and it got delivered to my door and didn't go thru customs. When I hard larger boxes sent, I always had to pick them up in customs. I am living in Mendoza so am talking about the stuff I experienced here.

amorphous face said:
I had a Kindle sent from Amazon by FEd Ex or whatever courier they use and someone showed up at my door with a tax on the Kindle that was higher than the amount I paid for the Kindle!!!! I was blown away. I sucked it up and paid it.

You'll go mental if the screen ever breaks on you. got one under warranty replaced and they demanded tax on that too!

Amazon eventually gave me the tax back as credit for ebooks after quite a bit of complaining.

Back