Online Shopping in USA and Import to Ar??

mjake

Registered
Hi guys,

I'm looking to order some things over the internet in the USA and have them shipped to my apartment in Buenos Aires.

Does anybody have experience with this?

What about customs? Is there a min. value that if exceeded custom fees/taxes will apply? Where I'm from I don't have to pay any custom taxes if the value of the package is below $300. How is it here?

Thank you.

There is a $300 allowance for new items brought with you each time you enter the country (at least by air). Expect to pay 50% of what customs thinks anything shipped to you are worth, even if they are used. If the value is over $25 you will probably have to pay the duty on the items and on the shipping as well. If you buy something on line and the seller includes a receipt for the purchase price youwil probably pay based on that fiure, but it could always be higher. One member once posted he hadto pay customs duty on a bic pen.

There a a number of threads on the subject. Use the search feature with keywords like shipping, importing, customs, etc.

I once ordered some food supplements from the States, when I went to collect my package I was told I had to pay $100 (pesos). I said, dont bother keep the stuff, I dont want it. The customs guy said, "How much do you want to pay", I replied "$40.". The customs guy accepted this offer.

I saw a young Argentine guy in tears as they would not release a computer circuit he had ordered, as he couldnt afford to pay the duty.

i've ordered a few things via standard international registered delivery (games / memory stick) from Hong Kong. They came through the post and i didn't have to pay any import taxes.

at the same time i've had clothes sent as a present from the uk that i had to go collect. I didn't have to pay taxes then but it was a hell of a waste of time.

If its a small item you might be lucky.

Back