Opening a USA bank account in Buenos Aires

Can non-US citizens pay for a PO box and open an account? A US bank account would make life a lot easier for us...

I totally agree with the HSBC Premier option. They are actually pretty good. I've been Premier with them for over a decade now and quite pleased. In each country that you are Premier with them, you have to have a certain amount of money with them. In the USA it's been $100,000 US, In Argentina I think I have to have 200,000 pesos but something interesting is I opened my Premier account in Argentina way back in 2003 and the balance certainly has less than 100,000 pesos in it but they still kept me Premier based on all my Premier status in the USA and the UK.

So I think once you make Premier and stay Premier for a few years they aren't so stringent in Argentina. I don't get charged any monthly fees at all. Also, it's nice in Argentina because the locations where they have Premier centers, you don't have to wait in those long bank lines. They typically have a MUCH shorter line. And some centers on a totally different floor so none of the regular customers can see you so there is more privacy.

My Argentina HSBC account is fairly worthless because the banks there are different. But my Premier accounts in the USA and UK are great. I have my own Manager that can help with anything I need. And you can transfer money from HSBC to HSBC accounts with no fee at all or wire to anyone with an HSBC account and they waive the bank wire fee. Plus I can log into my account and see all my HSBC accounts I have (with the exception of Argentina).

If you have the $$$ to open one...it's a pretty darn good account to have as El Expatriado mentioned. But the Argentina account is fairly worthless but I still keep my account there open to pay bills.

In 1999 when I moved to BsAs, I used my son's address in California on my credit union and investment accounts. When I finally had a permanent address in BsAs, I changed the address to BsAs on both accounts. They mailed my statements to BsAs and now all is done via email. I've had both accounts for more than 20 years.

Anyone moving to BsAs should continue their USA bank/checking account. I use a debit card on my credit union account to withdraw pesos to live on. My social security is deposited directly to my credit union account. I view statements online and can transfer money from my IRA to credit union account. There have been several occasions in 13 years when I've had to write a check (pay taxes to IRS).

I second this - for HSBC Premier. On min balance, you only need to have it at your home country, and not all the countries in which you have a HSBC acct. I have a HSBC Premier Acct here, initially opened it to transfer money back home without fees... but then. So my money here is put into the fixed deposits which pays about 11-12% p.a. interest which more or less matches the depreciation in the pesos value over the last one year.... 1% or so a month (or 0.45 peso more each month to the dollar).

Also, I managed to open a HSBC premier in the States without having to visit or be a US citizen or resident.. In the States now for HSBC, it is getting stricter with all the money laundering issues that HSBC has with the govt.

earlyretirement said:
I totally agree with the HSBC Premier option. They are actually pretty good. I've been Premier with them for over a decade now and quite pleased. In each country that you are Premier with them, you have to have a certain amount of money with them. In the USA it's been $100,000 US, In Argentina I think I have to have 200,000 pesos but something interesting is I opened my Premier account in Argentina way back in 2003 and the balance certainly has less than 100,000 pesos in it but they still kept me Premier based on all my Premier status in the USA and the UK.

So I think once you make Premier and stay Premier for a few years they aren't so stringent in Argentina. I don't get charged any monthly fees at all. Also, it's nice in Argentina because the locations where they have Premier centers, you don't have to wait in those long bank lines. They typically have a MUCH shorter line. And some centers on a totally different floor so none of the regular customers can see you so there is more privacy.

My Argentina HSBC account is fairly worthless because the banks there are different. But my Premier accounts in the USA and UK are great. I have my own Manager that can help with anything I need. And you can transfer money from HSBC to HSBC accounts with no fee at all or wire to anyone with an HSBC account and they waive the bank wire fee. Plus I can log into my account and see all my HSBC accounts I have (with the exception of Argentina).

If you have the $$$ to open one...it's a pretty darn good account to have as El Expatriado mentioned. But the Argentina account is fairly worthless but I still keep my account there open to pay bills.

Back