Ordering Something Online

Advice: do not order anything from the US to have it shipped here. You'll most likely end up having to go to Ezeiza to pick it up and paying duties that can be double the cost. It's an unnecessary headache.

Take a look at similar items on MercadoLibre instead: http://listado.mercadolibre.com.ar/fisher-price-hamaca

That is SOOO cute! No wonder you want it! Really it will not ever make it, nothing does except for very light (under a kilo) or books, without you paying mire than its worth in customs fees and having the inconvenience of waiting hours either at Ezieza or Retiro to pick it up.
Much better idea is to find someone who will be coming here who can bring it for you and you can kindly reward them. Looks like un assembled if wouldn't be too heavy.

If you do send something, don't send via FedEx or DHL - that will certainly get you out to Ezeiza and Ezeiza is four times the headache as the post office in Retiro. If you send something via USPS, for example, it should show up at Retiro and it's a bit easier to get it out, but still a headache.

Going through DHL or FedEx (I think they are technically freight forwarders, at least treated that way here) ensures that you have to pay for some paperwork and go through a more rigorous process and possibly have to make more than one trip to the airport.

At Retiro, something the size of what you're shipping probably wouldn't get sent to your door. You would get a notice in the mail, take that down to the post office in Retiro, get a number to register yourself for what you're picking up, get another number and wait anywhere from an hour to all day for your number to be called over a crappy speaker system, then go wait in line for the customs agents to call your number to pick up your box, discuss what it's going to cost (have any invoices with you to prove the price), you'll get an invoice that you have to pay at the bank at the end of the package retrieval counters before leaving with the package and you have it. I got lucky once and it only took about an hour and a half, the worst time it took a day and a half (returning the second day).

I haven't tried to bring anything since the import restrictions started. I wonder if you might have any problems if something similar is produce here?

BTW - I've had good-sized boxes filled with computer parts and even rack-mounted server boxes with most of their components come through, never had a hitch.

As Lacoqueta says, it would be much easier if you can find someone to bring that down. I haven't had much luck with people being willing to bring down much bigger than spices and a couple of 200-count boxes of Ziplock bags :)

But El Queso, did you see that thing? It is so darn cute! It would melt the heart of even the most intransigent friend, acquaintance, family or forum member! At least female ones!

Oh I know, and anything of quality here is so damned expensive when it comes to baby and young kid's stuff. It would be worth bringing it down. I'd love to have some things like that for my rapidly growing list of nieces and nephews (seems to be growing at the rate of 2-3 a year! Quite a large family...)

That is SOOO cute! No wonder you want it! Really it will not ever make it, nothing does except for very light (under a kilo) or books, without you paying mire than its worth in customs fees and having the inconvenience of waiting hours either at Ezieza or Retiro to pick it up.
Much better idea is to find someone who will be coming here who can bring it for you and you can kindly reward them. Looks like un assembled if wouldn't be too heavy.
I've had 10 kilo (about 20 lbs) packages sent many times where I picked up from Retiro sent via USPS but this thing I want for my son is too big for USPS so I thought maybe I can order from here but I guess not...Its about $100 in the US and about $3400 pesos here on MercadoLibre http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-478377202-fisher-price-columpio-cuna-mecedora-modelo-luv-u-zoo-_JM big difference...

I know a air freight forwarder who charges US$30 per kilo , no customs hassles. Have it in a few days. Pick up in San Telmo.

Back