out of frustration!!

Hi jojoinba,
Just want to offer you some compassion here...I'm a long-time expat and resident myself (and far from BA)...and I also want to honor your "putting yourself out there." That shows a kind of courage and openness that is bound to attract people that you will enjoy, even if it takes time. May i offer a teeny suggestion for how to keep your good humor when things seem a bit lonely? This comes from research in positive psychology: Get a journal, and every night write about three good things that happened in your day. Elaborate about why it happened & how much you enjoyed it. This will keep that zest that you have available for the socializing that will come about. Wishing you the best!

Lee does have a point in that people may wish to know more about you before they open themselves up to inviting you to things. My girlfriend (probably around your age) and I (unlikely to be your age) have just arrived in BA and are staying a couple of years. We know lots of relatively young argies who also speak English, so if you are fun and interesting we could introduce you. Also, I posted my details on a language exchange website and have had lots of replies. IMO BA is currently the best city in the world if you know how to work it. One week in and I have not had a problem with anything. And if you like to party, its the best.

yeah thanks i have a journal already.....i took psych in university myself so believe me, i already know but thanks....
and yeah if people want to know stuff about me they can ask me....it's not logical to just post a link for your entire life to people you dont know in a foreign country when you're here by yourself....and i'd have to be fun and interesting or i wouldn't be the only person out of my huge base of peeps that i know to have packed up and moved to a foreign country all by her lonesome to do something she never fathomed like 7 months ago.....so pardon me but im the best i can possibly be and i can only get better...i think having me in someone's life makes their life (and mine) more enriched...

My argy freinds would like to know if you are hot as well as lonely. They are a good looking (if somewhat short) bunch of mainly polo players and prefer to meet same!

How old are you? Where are you living?
I have young friends who are Argentinian and speak great english (they are teachers, translators or so) and Im sure they wont be "out to get you"
Anyway, Im thirty dont go out much, but I'm up for a shopping spree if you feel like :)

JoJo: So far several people have expressed interest in wanting to know more about you but all you've offered in return is a weak 'if you want to know, ask.' Isn't that what they've done? I'm not sure how you think someone is going to prey on you if you share such information in an online posting as, "I'm 27 years old, I dance to anything and everything, I like spending Sundays at asados and I love seeing the insides of local people's homes, modern art bores me but I appreciate the classics," etc. Loosen up! Buenos Aires is not nearly as dangerous as you seem to think it is and the people who tell you it is are alarmist.

Erstwhile: Miles Lewis, the sample information above is actually true about me and my good looks are augmented by fluent Spanish in which I'm quite capable of rompiendo las pelotas de qualquiera, in a charming way. I top out at 5'3" so even in heels I'm pretty short. And, I've been dying to go to a polo match...

but like omg, cant u use like privacy settings or like something? like, I thought, you, like, could. oh my gosh. like.

Miles Lewis said:
My argy freinds would like to know if you are hot as well as lonely. They are a good looking (if somewhat short) bunch of mainly polo players and prefer to meet same!

haha you're kidding right? well considering im guyanese, i look pretty interesting... i cap out at about 5'4"myself and had a lovely time in Pilar last weekend learning about polo..i find the game quite fascinating....i even tried to hold a polo stick and ride a horse at the same time but seriously it's soooo hard!! i was afraid i'd hit the horse in the face or fall off the horse trying to hit the ball, all the meanwhile trying to ensure miss horsie didnt go in the wrong direction ( a slight jerk of the reigns to one side changes their direction)....and yeah more about me....i like to write poetry...sketch, read...studied criminology/psychology in university...work for a financial institution...became a glider pilot when i was younger (my dream is to fly) and desiring for something more than the bank i got my TESL and came here....i love going out and experiencing argentina, museums, architecture and great scenery...my future after this adventure holds more education, teaching in Asia, or the Air Force....ta-da...

Do you like to play sports?? I have friends in BA (Argentines and foreigners) from all over the world that get together every week to play soccer as well as Basketball. I think that could be a good way to stay active and meet people. Send me a Private Message and I will get you in touch with the group. They are really buena onda!

Good luck!

Back