Overstay 90 Days Visa - Rules The Same?

nedders

Registered
Just want to know if the rules are the same for overstaying the 90 day tourist visa.

I have just overrun it, and i'm planning to go to iguazu next week (and it would be nice to cross the border to see brazilian side)

Obviously i will have to pay a fee.

But
a) will i be allowed to return to Arg the same day?

B) i'm leaving arg back for home for Christmas, will i be re-issued with another 90 days when i re-enter arg, or will there be an issue with me staying upto Christmas?

Thanks

I'm curious how many days leeway they give you over the 90 days before you pay a fine. I plan on crossing the Paraguayan border on a bus after 94 days in Argentina. I reckon it's fine but any doubts and I'll either go early or get an extension.

You will be banned from the country for 10 years. And if the migra catches you again inside the country you will be sent to an immigration detention center together with narcos and other criminals. Wait that was the US ... never mind.

I was recently talking to an Argy guy whose Argy friend moved to Charleston NC 14 years ago. He entered as a tourist and never left. He works in manufacturing and was able to get a mortgage and owns a house. He doesn't have a license, and when the cops pull him over and he says he's an illegal immigrant, they wave him through because apparently they don't want to deal with the paperwork it would take to deport him. He obviously can't come home or leave the states, but maybe the price of that is worth it. Not sure what he does about taxes.... anyway just thought I'd share as I found this enlightening.

I'm curious how many days leeway they give you over the 90 days before you pay a fine. I plan on crossing the Paraguayan border on a bus after 94 days in Argentina. I reckon it's fine but any doubts and I'll either go early or get an extension.

There is no leeway over the 90 days before you pay a fine (aka fee). If you overstay you will pay $300 pesos. If you get an extension you will pay $300 pesos.

If you cross the Paraguayan border on or before the 90th day you won't have to pay. Be sure to actually count the number of days and don't go by the day and month (Sept 5 to December 5 for example). The exact number of days should be calculated when you are leaving. Unless you are very lucky, 90 days means 90 days and one day over will mean paying the fine (aka fee). Two, three, or four days over should guarantee it.

If this is your first 90 day visa and you are planning on returning to Argentina after going to Paraguay, getting the extension in advance is perfectly acceptable, but keep in mind that if you return to Argentina at anytime during the 90 day extension, you will not get a new 90 day stamp when you reenter and getting another extension at migraciones will not be possible..

I had to pay it sometime back for 91 days. As Steve says, day of month doesn't matter.

Ok thanks Steve. I guess I'll get the extension before the 90 days in case I hold up the bus leaving Argentina. After 1 month in Paraguay I will return to Argentina but just for a few days until I fly back to Europe. From your post I understand that during the extension you are free to come in and out of Argentina during this time. In Portugal for example if you extend a tourist visa beyond 90 days you must remain in Portugal during the second 90 days. If you leave during this time you invalidate your extension.

Seems like a lot of hassle just to see the Brazillian side of Iguazu, which isn't really that much different from the Argie side.

One more point: You can leave after 90 days without paying the overstay fee, but if you do that you will not be allowed to reenter Argentina for a multiple of years.

Seems like a lot of hassle just to see the Brazillian side of Iguazu, which isn't really that much different from the Argie side.

The views are rather different. The Brazilian side is more panoramic, while the Argentine side has more footpaths and pasarelas that let you get up close and personal to the falls. I have nothing against Brazil but, given a choice between the two, I would prefer to stay on the Argentine side.

Back