Overstaying 90-day limit

I had overstayed 4 years and went to migraciones. I had some concerned looks at first but as soon as they knew I was from the UK they just didn't care that I was here without a visa for nearly half a decade. This was last year. However, they cared in the airport and made it clear to me this was the last time, both when I left and came back. All of this is part of the problem here, if it is possible to be arrested it should be applied across the board. I increasingly find there is no right answer when it comes to this subject other than once you've overstayed things may go wrong.

As Dr. Rubilar has posted more than once, "There are no rules."

This does not mean there are no immigration laws. It just means there are no rules as to how the laws are enforced.

PS: Not only is there a lack of consistency from place to place (the office of migraciones versus the various ports of entry), there is apparently a lack of consistency from one immigration to the next at the same place.

Hola.

I have a question about over staying fee.

I have overstayed here about 6 months(total 9 months here)

I have read here I could pay the fee at the airport before i check in. But my flight is Saturday so I am curious the immigration center and Bank is open at Saturday.

If they close I think I need to pay in advance at immigration center near RETIRO.
If I go there for paying the fee(4500 pesos) they could arrest me there?
As far as i know i could pay the fees within 10 days for departure date. Is this correct?

I look forward to hearing.

Thank you in advance.

I have overstayed here about 6 months(total 9 months here)

I have read here I could pay the fee at the airport before i check in. But my flight is Saturday so I am curious the immigration center and Bank is open at Saturday.

The bank at the airport will be open on Saturday. You do not need to pay in advance at the office of migraciones in Retiro.

The bank at the airport will be open on Saturday. You do not need to pay in advance at the office of migraciones in Retiro.

Thank you for reply.
You mean the immigration office open at Saturday also?

My flight is 11 am. I wonder what time they open.
It should be ok to take my flight?

Thank you for reply.
You mean the immigration office open at Saturday also?

My flight is 11 am. I wonder what time they open.
It should be ok to take my flight?

Yes, the immigration office is open on Saturday and you should be OK to take your flight..

I suggest you arrive at least one hour (if not two) before the suggested check in time for your light.

In other words, if the check in time for your flight is three hours prior to the scheduled departure time of your flight, you should arrive at EZE at least four hours prior to the scheduled departure time. It's undoubtedly "better" to wait an extra hour or more at the airport than in your apartment prior to going there. After you pay the fee and check in you will be able to relax and not have to worry about it.

PS: Others are most welcome to add pertinent information...as well as confirm or modify what I have posted.

Yes, the immigration office is open on Saturday and you should be OK to take your flight..

I suggest you arrive at least one hour (if not two) before the suggested check in time for your light.

In other words, if the check in time for your flight is three hours prior to the scheduled departure time of your flight, you should arrive at EZE at least four hours prior to the scheduled departure time. It's undoubtedly "better" to wait an extra hour or more at the airport than in your apartment prior to going there. After you pay the fee and check in you will be able to relax and not have to worry about it.

PS: Others are most welcome to add pertinent information...as well as confirm or modify what I have posted.
Thank you again.

My flight time is 11 am. I am supposed to be there 3 hours before. Means 8 am. 1 hour prior is 7 am.

You mean the bank and immigration office is open at 7 am ?

Thank you again.

My flight time is 11 am. I am supposed to be there 3 hours before. Means 8 am. 1 hour prior is 7 am.

You mean the bank and immigration office is open at 7 am ?
Yes they are open all day, I was there at 4 am last year and paid. 24hrs, but yes make sure you get there earlier. Best is you get a situation like me and do the payment and all the process in 10 minutes and have to get a coffee until check in. I am not sure if this is standard practice, but the twice I paid the fee, there were two lines in the bank, one was a very long line and the other was bypassing this line to allow people who were just paying the fee, hence why I have been in and out in 10 minutes.

That said, there are plenty of stories about people having to wait hours to get this process done, but perhaps it is more efficient now?

You don't need to go to the office 10 days in advance, it's a waste of your time (you won't get arrested unless you murder someone in a rage over the tedious process). Just go to the airport and deal with it there. Trust me, it's really easy in terms of what you need to do. If you need advice about where to go in the airport, just ask here. It seems the last two years they are asking more questions about why you overstayed and what your future plans are. I had a lecture at the airport last year, but then again I had overstayed a few years. Play a little dumb, don't get cocky, stay as honest as you can, and be nice and it should be fine as this is usually just the immigration agent flexing their power a little.

Yes they are open all day, I was there at 4 am last year and paid. 24hrs, but yes make sure you get there earlier. Best is you get a situation like me and do the payment and all the process in 10 minutes and have to get a coffee until check in. I am not sure if this is standard practice, but the twice I paid the fee, there were two lines in the bank, one was a very long line and the other was bypassing this line to allow people who were just paying the fee, hence why I have been in and out in 10 minutes.

That said, there are plenty of stories about people having to wait hours to get this process done, but perhaps it is more efficient now?

You don't need to go to the office 10 days in advance, it's a waste of your time (you won't get arrested unless you murder someone in a rage over the tedious process). Just go to the airport and deal with it there. Trust me, it's really easy in terms of what you need to do. If you need advice about where to go in the airport, just ask here. It seems the last two years they are asking more questions about why you overstayed and what your future plans are. I had a lecture at the airport last year, but then again I had overstayed a few years. Play a little dumb, don't get cocky, stay as honest as you can, and be nice and it should be fine as this is usually just the immigration agent flexing their power a little.

Thank you very much for reply.

I was bit concerned about this matter.
Your reply is really helpful. Awesome.

Have a nice weekend and thank you ~

I "liked" this post but I hope those reading it understand that (in this context) it applies to someone who has overstayed their 90 day visa and goes to the DNM to apply for residency for which they cannot qualify.

This is apparently a not-so-accidental byproduct of making it possible for those without legal residency to apply for it on line and then be sucked into showing up at migraciones in person...only to find that they ate subject to arrest without an arrest warrant and deportation (without any judicial process?).

If you go to migraciones no more than 30 days after the expiration of your "first" 90 day visa you should be able to get a 90 day extension by paying 150% of the normal fee for the prorroga de permanencia (presently $2700 pesos).

If it's past the 30 "grace" period you shouldn't go unless you are applying for temporary residency and are very certain that you meet all of he requirements to get it.

No.
Before the decree 616/2010 created the abuse of the i-94 (visa) and now it is in the DNU so, they can arrest you right away if they want if you have been doing Colonia runs.
The only rule is arbitrariness.
You do not have the right to get the extension now.

I had overstayed 4 years and went to migraciones. I had some concerned looks at first but as soon as they knew I was from the UK they just didn't care that I was here without a visa for nearly half a decade. This was last year. However, they cared in the airport and made it clear to me this was the last time, both when I left and came back. All of this is part of the problem here, if it is possible to be arrested it should be applied across the board. I increasingly find there is no right answer when it comes to this subject other than once you've overstayed things may go wrong.

The is one answer: arbitrariness.

Back