Overstaying In Argentina (Predicable Topic For A Newbie)

caradoc

Registered
Hi all..

I am new here and have a predictable question concerning overstaying in Argentina. I am on long term sabbatical from work writing a book and have been spending it in Brazil and Argentina. I arrived in mid-October last year in Brazil, did 90 days on a tourist visa, came to Argentina for 45 days on a tourist visa, returned to Brazil for 80 days and thence back to Argentina. My 90 days here is due to expire and I don’t know what to do. I cannot return to Brazil until mid-October when my new 180 day yearly allowance starts all over again. My intention was to go to Uruguay for 12 hours and return with a new stamp and then return to Brazil in 60 days - this way I would not have exceeded 90 days but would have technically exceeded my 180 days yearly allowance in Argentina by 15 days. But I am growing concerned that they might see that my return ticket to Brazil is for mid-October and then put two and two together and guess that I will be overstaying by 15 days and refuse me re-entry (thus screwing up my deposit for my apartment etc.) The alternative is just to simply overstay my 90 day tourist visa full-stop. But that means it will be 60 days over the 90 day period (although only still 15 days over 180 day allowance). 60 days is a little bit more difficult to justify than 60 days. From what I read, it is better to overstay and pay the penalty but I don’t like breaking laws and I am already feeling guilty about it (even though it is 3 months away). I got a new passport before I left and the only stamps in them are Brazil and Argentina and (so far) all totally legitimate. What should I do? Chance going to Uruguay or simply overstay and pay the fine? I am growing to love Argentina and definitely would like to return one day (although only as a tourist) and do not wish to scupper my chances re-entering the country in the future. Apologies for the long-winded post.

You risk not being let back in next time you arrive if you overstay. Go to Paraguay, then go on your new passport back to Brasil when your flight leves from there.

Thanks for responding. I mentioned Uruguay in my post. Do you mean Uruguay or Paraguay?

You could do either. A trip to Uruguay would give you a fresh stamp in your passport (and as it will be your first time to Uruguay and only second such 'extension') I doubt it would be an issue. Overstaying you will have to pay the fine and gives you an overstay mark in your passport, but since it's only one time, it shouldn't be an issue, either. I doubt they're even going to look at when you're leaving.

In my opinion, the less times going through immigration the better. Since you won't be returning to Argentina in the near future, I would overstay, pay the fine, and you shouldn't have any issues coming back to visit. I wouldn't overstay with plans to come back right away, though. I had the experience a couple years ago that upon returning after an overstay (left in Oct. and came back in Jan.) an agent looked at my passport, saw the overstay, and counted how many months I had been out of the country. So if you overstay, I wouldn't try to come back for another 2-3 months at least (although I'm sure some people have come directly back.)

All that said, a quick trip to Uruguay, especially if you've never been, might be interesting too and shouldn't be any issue.

All in all Argentina is pretty lax when it comes to immigration control. That doesn't mean you won't run into an agent that has his own ideas, though... or that things won't change in the future.

Thanks. I appreciate your response. I don't like the idea of having an overstay mark in my passport... so am leaning toward the Uruguay option. If I have not exceeded 90 days but have gone over the 180 day yearly 'allowance' would I still need to pay fine and have an overstay mark in my passport? I really appreciate any insights you can give.

There is no "180 day allowance" in Argentina, it's up to the appreciation of the Customs officer (for Brazil, no idea but Camberiu on this forum likely knows). You can even stay more than 90 days at once in Argentina and pay the fine upon exit (and still be able to reenter after).

If you stay in Argentina 3 x 89 days = no fine to pay.

Seems a very tiny percentage of foreigners got into trouble with overstays but that might be due to other considerations (or just bad luck).

If I were you, I just overstay in Argentina & pay the fine & ciao!

More info in this old thread (nothing new since if I recall)
http://baexpats.org/topic/10028-changes-for-permatourists/

If you prefer not to have an overstay fine marked into your passport just take a day trip to Colonia. Brazil as far as I know is very strict about their 180 day regulations, but Argentina is not. There are many people who live in Argentina as a perma-tourist, either visiting Uruguay every 90 days or paying overstay fines when they leave. If this is your first renewal no one will question you about anything.

You really, really don't need to worry about this. You have spent very little time in Argentina compared to many who live and work here for years and years with no residency. I was a "permatourist" for two years at one point and I know plenty of permatourists in their fourth, fifth, sixth years. None of them have been denied entry back into the country despite paying the fine multiple times. One got yelled at but was still let in, but she is going into her fifth year here. I think the longest I left Argentina during my permatourist period was five weeks. I would leave the country every 90 days and never had a problem, not even so much as a comment coming back into the country. I have returned to Argentina twice for extended periods since that time. I'm here now. Still no problems.

This time around I've overstayed (my first time ever--going to Uruguay is too expensive now) and will just pay the fine at Ezeiza when I leave. I've even taken two domestic flights in the past couple weeks having passed the 90-day limit, and no one cared. I'm traveling to the U.S. at the end of next month. I'll pay the fine and then be back a couple weeks later. It hadn't even occurred to me to worry about being let back in. People have been predicting permatourist crackdowns for as long as I can remember. Still hasn't happened.

Thanks everyone. Learning from the experience of others in invaluable. I will process all of this in my mind, make a decision and let you know what I did and how I got on.

I've even taken two domestic flights in the past couple weeks having passed the 90-day limit, and no one cared. I'm traveling to the U.S. at the end of next month. I'll pay the fine and then be back a couple weeks later.

Do they do an immigration check for domestic flights?

Back