Overstaying tourist visa for 1-2 years

nik.dj808

Registered
I have read many of the 'overstay pay the fine' threads but I have never seen anyone comment on overstaying for a long period of time like a year or more. If the fine is based on overstays of less than 2 years are there really no issues if you overstay under that? If that is the case, then why would people bother with the 90 day extension/border runs/rentista visa if you just need to pay a small fee to stay for 2 years? Thanks everyone :)

I have read many of the 'overstay pay the fine' threads but I have never seen anyone comment on overstaying for a long period of time like a year or more. If the fine is based on overstays of less than 2 years are there really no issues if you overstay under that? If that is the case, then why would people bother with the 90 day extension/border runs/rentista visa if you just need to pay a small fee to stay for 2 years? Thanks everyone :)
There are no written rules. GENERALLY, you cannot overstay more than 2 times before being banned to re-enter for 5 years. Again it is on case by case bases. Also generally, if it's your first time overstaying and it's less than 2 years, you should be fine. The more time you over stay and the more often you do it, the higher the chance you'd be flagged and maybe refused entry if Migraciones feels you are abusing that system.

He's suggesting that if you've hit the two-year mark, you can apply for citizenship in Argentina. However, my understanding (also expressed by @dsp27 here) is that without an existing temporary residence permit, the road to citizenship can be a bit steeper.

There are no written rules. GENERALLY, you cannot overstay more than 2 times before being banned to re-enter for 5 years. Again it is on case by case bases. Also generally, if it's your first time overstaying and it's less than 2 years, you should be fine. The more time you over stay and the more often you do it, the higher the chance you'd be flagged and maybe refused entry if Migraciones feels you are abusing that system.
Thanks for the reply, very helpful and makes sense.

not so easy without residence. idk why people keep pushing this path, it rarely works and it definitely takes more than 2 years.
Some people here seem to have financial interest in spreading the idea that you can get citizenship easily without residency. It is basically spread like it's common sense even though it rarely works.

Last edited:
Some people here seem to have financial interest in spreading the idea that you can get citizenship easily without residency. It is basically spread like it's common sense even though it rarely works.
I totally agree. I know a TON of people and had several businesses in Argentina. I know NO ONE that overstayed their visa for 2 years and easily got citizenship. The path isn't as easy as people would lead you to believe. In fact, has there been even one long-time member of this board that has gotten citizenship this way?

Heck, I even have family members from Merco-sur countries that have lived in Argentina over a decade and the path to Citizenship isn't as easy as people would lead you to believe. I remember the good ole days when I read Bajo_cero was helping people get Citizenship but I haven't read any of his posts in a long time promoting this.

I totally agree. I know a TON of people and had several businesses in Argentina. I know NO ONE that overstayed their visa for 2 years and easily got citizenship. The path isn't as easy as people would lead you to believe. In fact, has there been even one long-time member of this board that has gotten citizenship this way?

Heck, I even have family members from Merco-sur countries that have lived in Argentina over a decade and the path to Citizenship isn't as easy as people would lead you to believe. I remember the good ole days when I read Bajo_cero was helping people get Citizenship but I haven't read any of his posts in a long time promoting this.
There's one or two members who did thru Bajo going down that path about 10 years ago if I remember correctly. It used to be actually feasible back then although it was still an uphill battle. Even today it's technically possible but one needs to be prepared to enter legal purgatory with the case stuck for maybe 5 years during which time you cannot travel out of the country (since Migraciones would likely not let you back in). And of course pay all the legal fees. It's just not worth the trouble. If one has all that cash and determination to live here, getting a residency and then the carta de ciudadania is so much more straightforward.

Back