Owner Key to your Rental

Smurf

Registered
Does your owner have a key to your rental? Is is written in your contract that the has a key and access?
It seems a little far out that the owner first has a key, it states in the contract with no rules when he can come to the apartment e.g. with an agreed appointment.
Anyone any experiences or tips

my owner handed over all keys to me (to my knowledge at least). he never visited without coordinating with me (and never without my presence).

i would accept them having a set but only if the contract states he cannot enter without your consent or unless there is some sort of emergency while you are away and you can give remote consent.

You may lodge a police complaint - criminal - against owner if he enters without your permission unless the contract explicitly allows him to do so and had been agreed upon between you and him.

Pro tip - Always have the contract signed in presence of a notary magistrate to ensure that owner does not try to change the deal half way in the contract or do whatever he feels like half way in the contract.

Does your owner have a key to your rental? Is is written in your contract that the has a key and access?
It seems a little far out that the owner first has a key, it states in the contract with no rules when he can come to the apartment e.g. with an agreed appointment.
Anyone any experiences or tips
In the event that you lose your set of keys, you have simple access to the rental if the owner lives in the area and can promptly provide another set. The rental contract can state that the owner shall not enter the premises at any time when the tenant is not present.

Breaking the locks to enter an apartment that you don't own has its consequences.

In the event that you lose your set of keys, you have simple access to the rental if the owner lives in the area and can promptly provide another set. The rental contract can state that the owner shall not enter the premises at any time when the tenant is not present.

Breaking the locks to enter an apartment that you don't own has its consequences.
Thanks for the tip - turns out the owner doesn't have a full set of keys to this own locks! So more than welcomed that the locks can be all changed!

It's not acceptable for the owner to have a set of keys in my eyes. I would never agree to allow the owner to come unannounced, and certainly not frequently.

I will however allow the owner to do an inspection of the place every so often, say every two years. My door has 3 locks. When I am on vacation, I leave the portero one key, in case of emergency and to water my plants.

Regardless of what the contract or the law says, assume the owner has a set of keys. If I am the owner, I certainly will have a copy. If you were the owner, won't you? As others have noted, it's for emergencies. No sane owner would want an unhappy renter, so they won't come in unannounced with the key, especially when you're home. Yes, there are bad owners who might do that just like there are bad renters who abuses the place they rent, regardless of what the contract or the law says.

If you want total privacy, don't rent. If you do you rent, accept the fact that someone else has a key. If not already installed, install something (door latch, door jammer, etc...) that prevents the door from opening even with the keys when you're inside. Store your valuables in hidden locations, locked draws or safe. Install a security camera.

(If you are the owner, you should have the number of a locksmith handy in case the tenant changes the lock, again, regardless of what the contract or the law says.)

Regardless of what the contract or the law says, assume the owner has a set of keys. If I am the owner, I certainly will have a copy. If you were the owner, won't you? As others have noted, it's for emergencies. No sane owner would want an unhappy renter, so they won't come in unannounced with the key, especially when you're home. Yes, there are bad owners who might do that just like there are bad renters who abuses the place they rent, regardless of what the contract or the law says.

If you want total privacy, don't rent. If you do you rent, accept the fact that someone else has a key. If not already installed, install something (door latch, door jammer, etc...) that prevents the door from opening even with the keys when you're inside. Store your valuables in hidden locations, locked draws or safe. Install a security camera.

(If you are the owner, you should have the number of a locksmith handy in case the tenant changes the lock, again, regardless of what the contract or the law says.)

Thanks for the input. The owner was very open that he does not have a full set of keys and doesn't know who actually has a full set of keys... so if the owner has no clue who has keys how can a tenant go out of the place knowing who comes in - putting a camera in or lock/chain inside is a fine idea but it's when you are not there - who has access...sort of odd I feel that the owner would not know who has keys to their home. Makes me wonder if e.g. real estate agents or a portero have keys temporary can they simply go and get keys cut at the locksmith...no idea how that works here. Making keys available in case of emergencies is not the question really it's key passing around to whoever the owner seems to have lost track themselves or maybe keys got mislaid

Back