Owner Selling Apt While I'm Renting

BelgianinBA1

Registered
I signed a two year contract for an apartment here and only 6 months have passed, and the owner now wants to sell it and show it to prospective buyers. There is no clause in the contract about this situation. She is a nice person and I want to keep a cordial relationship, but I've heard apartments can take a long time to sell, especially now. I don't want to have people visiting potentially for the next 1.5 years. I also travel frequently to Europe and have a wife and young daughter that live here. Is it safe to have people looking at the apartment? I don't want to put my wife and daughters live at risk for convenience of the owner.

We will have to know what does your contract say on this issue.

I'm guessing it wouldn't be the smartest way for a potential burglar to case the place since the owner or real estate agent showing the place would have the information of whoever comes to look at it and they would be the first suspects. That being said, you have to be careful here. Does the building have security?

I signed a two year contract for an apartment here and only 6 months have passed, and the owner now wants to sell it and show it to prospective buyers. There is no clause in the contract about this situation. She is a nice person and I want to keep a cordial relationship, but I've heard apartments can take a long time to sell, especially now. I don't want to have people visiting potentially for the next 1.5 years. I also travel frequently to Europe and have a wife and young daughter that live here. Is it safe to have people looking at the apartment? I don't want to put my wife and daughters live at risk for convenience of the owner.

Absolutely unsafe. I have two acquaintances, one renting her income apartment, the other a real estate agent, who were robbed at gunpoint and forcibly drugged, in her case, while showing properties to "clients" who had made appointments with them. Prepare for the worst and never do one-on-one.

I would not let strangers come by to look at the apartment. She can sell it and the new owner has to honor your rental contract. This is the law. Tell her to take good pics and shoot a video. Do not let strangers come over. She cannot force you to do this legally anyways.

I would ask to get out of the contract but the cordial relationship that you enjoy may be over at that point.

I would ask to get out of the contract but the cordial relationship that you enjoy may be over at that point.

I'm considering this. Even if we came to an agreement that would let me break the contract, it would still cost me broker fees, moving costs, and all the hassle. I have to weigh that against just being stubborn and "enjoying" a unpleasant relationship with her for the remainder of my contract.

Not a big deal if you let people see the apartment if the Realtor brings potential buyer to view. The Realtor usually screen the buyer and talk to him/her already.
You can choose to exit the contract or ask for free rent.

Free rent? never heard of that. Good luck with that.

The owner must honor the contract. In the event of her selling the apartment, the contract is transferred to the buyer who has to honor it until its completion. The buyer upon buying is handled the apartment, the contract and the renter (which he has not chosen).

Most realtors as garryl mentioned will screen potential buyers. As an extra safety measure you could ask to be sent the name, DNI number and copy beforehand, of visitors.

Back