Owner Selling Apt While I'm Renting

Responses range from my family may be drugged and robbed to not a big deal.

When I went to look at apartments to rent through various realtors, I never provided more than an email, phone number, and my name. I don't know how they could have screened me beyond a google search. Are buyers more rigorously investigated?

Thank you

The owner can't force you to allow showings against your will and convenience. I agree there is nothing stopping her from listing it but she can't force you to show it and have strangers coming into your property.

Thanks for all the feedback. How do they screen buyers exactly? I was never screened when I went to visit numerous apartments through different brokers. Market appears overvalued at the moment, so not looking to buy.

Thanks for all the feedback. How do they screen buyers exactly? I was never screened when I went to visit numerous apartments through different brokers. Market appears overvalued at the moment, so not looking to buy.

I don't really think realtors can really "screen" potential buyers. After all, realtors in Buenos Aires are amongst the worst and laziest people I've ever come across in all my business dealings around the world. They are really horrible and would probably screw over their own mothers to make a buck or two. I guess they could ask what they did for a living, where they work, etc. But honestly I can't really see an Argentine realtor "screening" anyone to any real degree.

They may ask for a DNI or something but that's probably about it.

As to if the market is "overvalued". Definitely prices are high now with all the tens of billions of dollars coming back into Argentina by people that had it overseas. One of the things they need to do is invest that in Argentina and one of the possibilities is real estate. That's driving up the market right now.

I listed a small 2 bedroom apartment in Recoleta and sold it for $270,000 US Dollars within two weeks of listing it and actually closed on it within a month after getting the offer. And it was comical to actually hear the buyer say we had to declare the full price as a condition of the sale. They were one of the ones that brought back a ton of undeclared income and had to invest it so wanted to list the entire price.

I still don't see too many viable investments in Argentina besides real estate. However, the crazy inflation is pushing up expenses like crazy. I have a one bedroom apartment where the monthly HOA fees are over $400 US dollars now!

And it was comical to actually hear the buyer say we had to declare the full price as a condition of the sale.

Is it common to put a lower figure in the contract in your home country (I suppose you are from the US)? Because when I went to a real estate agent in Florida there was no mention of this.

Is it common to put a lower figure in the contract in your home country (I suppose you are from the US)? Because when I went to a real estate agent in Florida there was no mention of this.
Locals do it a lot, when foreigners do it they usually get screwed when they want to send the money back home en blanco,,, so they have to get creative, but it is getting harder and harder these days with anti terrorism and anti money laundering laws popping up everywhere. Be careful. Get professional advice.

I was wondering what is so comical about the US seller wanting to sell en negro and the Argentine buyer forcing him to agree a sale en blanco. Maybe it is common to buy en negro also in the US?

Because this leads me to understand that the US seller wanted to do the kind of stuff he isn't allowed to do in the US, complaining because he had to abide the law in Argentina.

I was wondering what is so comical about the US seller wanting to sell en negro and the Argentine buyer forcing him to agree a sale en blanco. Maybe it is common to buy en negro also in the US?

Because this leads me to understand that the US seller wanted to do the kind of stuff he isn't allowed to do in the US, complaining because he had to abide the law in Argentina.

It's COMICAL because ALL of the other properties I bought and sold in Argentina (to locals) the seller/buyer wouldn't agree to sell/buy unless we listed a false and lower price. NO, I never said that I wanted to do the transaction in negro. I said it was comical because it was the local that wanted to do it in blanco. The vast majority of locals try to do things in negro. Are you trying to argue with that FACT???

No, you can't compare transactions in the USA with transactions in corrupt Argentina. Everything works well in the USA. You don't walk around with bags of $100 US dollar bills. Everything is on the up and up in the USA. That's far from the case in Argentina for the most part where there is a ton of red tape and it's rife with corruption.

Back