Pablo Has My Mac - Wtf!

All that evidence and the police still struggle to put a case together?
Or just don't want to?

And their motivation would be...(based on their values)?

Justice?

Righting a wrong?

I am NOT being flippant.

I seriously would like to know...

I can't imagine that there aren't at least a few (if not many) individuals who are Policia Federal that don't care about justice and individual rights.

The police where I live are very friendly and (in four years) have never hassled me in any way.

And they are well aware that I am the only Norte Americano who lives here.

Motivation would be a crime committed no? He filed charges, gave them info including address adn picture and nothing was done. Shocking ;)

If you read the link, it appears the owner was reimbursed by Avianca at the end. Of course he shouldn't have put the laptop in a checked bag in the first place but I'm guessing he won't do it again.

Saw some poor kid from somewhere in Latin America begging the security staff in JFK on friday night to tell him where he could find somewhere to get his baggage wrapped in protective plastic so no one could open his case after he checked it in. I suspect he was shortly to be on his way to the "special interview room"

Saw some poor kid from somewhere in Latin America begging the security staff in JFK on friday night to tell him where he could find somewhere to get his baggage wrapped in protective plastic so no one could open his case after he checked it in. I suspect he was shortly to be on his way to the "special interview room"

I always do this when I return from Buenos Aires or Santiago to the States.

Ha, I bet you he was Colombian! They do not ever travel without a lock on their suitcase, and barring that, they do the plastic thing. I started doing it for flights to Argentina, too, once enough people I knew got stuff snatched out of their suitcases (mostly clothing and a few imported sweets). It's not a bad idea, just get a TSA lock if you're headed to, coming from or connecting in the U.S. It has a tiny key hole so the agents can open it to do their random security checks, then they put it back on. They'll just cut off any other type of lock.

Ha, I bet you he was Colombian! They do not ever travel without a lock on their suitcase, and barring that, they do the plastic thing. I started doing it for flights to Argentina, too, once enough people I knew got stuff snatched out of their suitcases (mostly clothing and a few imported sweets). It's not a bad idea, just get a TSA lock if you're headed to, coming from or connecting in the U.S. It has a tiny key hole so the agents can open it to do their random security checks, then they put it back on. They'll just cut off any other type of lock.

I have TSA locks on my baggage, but they are also easily cut off.

I have TSA locks on my baggage, but they are also easily cut off.

I meant that the TSA will cut off any other type of lock, but yeah, anyone with the right tool can do it. I honestly think the same thing when I see a barbed wire fence--a hefty pair of wire cutters is all it takes to get through that. I file these thoughts under Things That Never Occurred to Me Before I Moved to Latin America.

Back