Package Stuck At Customs/lost... Help

Welp, at least there was nothing urgent in the package. Think of it this way: when you finally do get it, it will be a lovely surprise! Like the awesome surprise I got when a $20 camera flash arrived at my apartment after months of having considered it lost and already gotten a new one. Double the flashes, double the fun, am I right?

R.I.P. your package, dude.

There is no way that taking the tracking number print out from the Correo Argentino website to Aduana Retiro could help the process (says on the Correo site that it is at aduana)?

Worked once with a bus ticket refund... I showed my face enough times at the CATA booth in Retiro and got them on the phone with CATA headquarters and they relented and gave me a refund for a cancelled bus ride. Obviously a bus company is different than aduana, but is there a chance I could go and get it without the notification?

There is no way that taking the tracking number print out from the Correo Argentino website to Aduana Retiro could help the process (says on the Correo site that it is at aduana)?

Worked once with a bus ticket refund... I showed my face enough times at the CATA booth in Retiro and got them on the phone with CATA headquarters and they relented and gave me a refund for a cancelled bus ride. Obviously a bus company is different than aduana, but is there a chance I could go and get it without the notification?
It's worth a try. Actually worked for me once: got my package without having to pay the $500 fine, though I did get a notification from Correo to my house. Just get ready to wait patiently for a few hours, wear your best bambi eyes and dimples, never raise your voice to any agents, and act oblivious/naïve the whole time.

If you have time on your hands, go to Aduana and give it a try. If you are successful in getting your package with only the tracking number, then you'll have a good story to write under "believe it or not."

Try not to accuse them of lying or misrepresenting their titles. Do a search of recent experiences with the postal/customs should be 8-10 pages about someone else's personal bad dream!

hi,

I have recived some documents.

Even they are struck with customs.

Recieved a postcard from correo argentina saying :-

"Previo a retirar su envio, debe cumplimentar los requisitos de la res. gral. nro. 3579 ( en pagina web afip)"

does anyone know what this implies?

You can read the text of Res. Nro. 3579 at http://biblioteca.afip.gob.ar/dcp/REAG01003579_2014_01_20

Article 1 says you need to complete form 4550, etc.

If you have time on your hands, go to Aduana and give it a try. If you are successful in getting your package with only the tracking number, then you'll have a good story to write under "believe it or not."

I found additional information on AFIP regarding the tracking number:

"A shipment usually has a number of international tracking and when it reaches the country Correo Argentino assigned another local number."

The USPS tracking number won't help you claim the package. That's why you need to wait to receipt a notice of receipt from Correo Argentino first. It takes time to get into the local system. You need the new tracking number of Correo Argentino to claim your package. If your package was insured, you can plan on paying 50% of the stated value in customs duty.

How do you complete form 4550 if you don't have a CUIT/CUIL/CDI? My work visa is in process so I haven't received my DNI/CUIL number yet. I don't see anywhere to print out the form and bring it, I only see the option to fill it out online in your AFIP account (with entrance via CUIL).

Also, in regards to finding the Argentine version of the tracking number:
If you go to the Correo Argentino website to the "track and trace" section and then type in your USPS tracking number and wait for the page to pull up the tracking info... you can click a blue link that says "Ver movimientos para el seguimiento nacional" that is BELOW the tracking information. If you click this, it will provide the Argentine details of the package movement and will show you the Argentine tracking number... mine was a long line of letters and digits with the last 2 letters AR. It is different than the one from USPS.

My Arg tracking number was available on the website DESPITE the fact that I have not yet received a mail notification.

The very same thing happened to me recently. They need your cuil and or importer id, whatever that is.

I called the shipping company FedEx in my case, who told me to call the local fedex office. The local office emailed me the documents needed fill out. You filled them out and email them back. Then the package is released.

It sucks that they don't try to contact you at all. it just sits at customs for a month or so and then they send it back. Your lucky you have a tracking number, the packages that come through the regular mail go through the same process, but because theres no tracking number you never know that its in customs and you never get it.

"It has been like this for about 2 weeks now" - jajajaja. Come back in 2 months. Or maybe 20.

To any of you wondering how this played out... I got the package! And it was REALLY easy! There are new clothes (tags removed), packaged food and candy, liquids, nail polish and just about every other "don't mail" item in my package. Theres a lot of confusing experiences on this thread, but here is how it happened for me:

Went to the correo in Retiro at 8:30am, waited in a line to enter, told a Correo worker at the door that I NEVER received a notification on my door, but that the Correo tracking number shows the package arrived to aduana. He took the package number and my name and said wait outside. 30 minutes later, gave me the notification (guess they don't deliver all of them), I signed it and continued inside. I paid a $40 peso tarifa to "receive a package from customs" and then was given a number and told to sit in the waiting room. 15 minutes later, the number popped up on a television screen and I entered into the customs part of the building. Gave a customs official my ticket and they brought my package, opened it in front of me and asked me who it was from. I told her it was from my parents, and after looking around inside the custom official told me it was obviously a "mom and dad" package and I could take it.

Signed a form saying I received it and left the building. On my way out, I asked about the $25 dollar "franquicia" and if there are any limits on the amount of packages per year. He said there is no limit, and regardless of value or not, if customs does not ask you to pay taxes there on your box, then it does not count towards your $25 franquicia.

It took about 2 hours, but I didn't fill out a SINGLE tax form and didn't pay taxes for storage or taxes on my items. Nothing was stolen from the package. Hope this gives others hope.

To nkotb, passivity never gets the job done, especially not in Argentina. Don't wait 2 months, go to the correo and try to talk to them about it.

Back