Packing a Computer Monitor

mikekul

Registered
I will need a large computer monitor in BA. I have a 30" Dell monitor that I have been using. Given that I already expect to pay luggage fees, will Argentina customs let me get away with my monitor? Or will my personal use defense fall on deaf ears? Also, could someone give an approximate electronics markup ratio between Argentina and the U.S.? Does a $1000 item cost 1.4x, 2.3x, 3.5x, etc. in Argentina?

Is it new or used? I assume you are only coming on a tourist visa?

It is worth bringing as it will probably be about 3x the cost here. Pack it well. At customs, tell them you don't speak Spanish and that you are taking it when you leave. I brought a 24" monitor this way with no problem.

Failing that, have a receipt. The duty is 50% of the amount above U$S 300. (so if it cost U$S 600, you would owe U$S 150). It's still much cheaper than buying it here.

Sleuth, thank you for the advice. The monitor is a 2006 Dell 3007WFP 30" monitor that cost $2200 at the time. Sadly, the latest 2011 Dell UltraSharp U3011 30" monitor blows mine out of the water and costs $1500 now.

I do not speak Spanish yet, so I will not have to feign local language incompetency. I do not have a copy of my receipt. I am also planning to bring an old Sony 16" notebook and an even older 17" Dell XPS notebook, all for personal use. Frankly, it sounds like the duty fees could be worth it if I wanted to bring in brand-new electronics that I could not defend successfully.

If it's all used and you're on a tourist visa, you should have no problem bringing them in. Just be sure to tell them you will be leaving with them too.

Back