Palermo Hollywood vs. Recoleta

LittleNic

Registered
Hi All,

I am looking forward to move to BA in April and are looking for a place to stay for the first couple of months.

I now have two offers I consider and would like to get some opinion on:

1: Palermo Hollywood: Humboldt between Paraguay / Guatemala
beautiful, charming apartment

2: Recoleta: Arenales / Montevideo
not as nice as number 1 ;o)

I like it quiet during the night (I know that BA is a big noisy city, but I need some sleep from time to time ;o), like to walk to places and would like to be self sufficient (like to cook and shop for nice food) and I am not sure, if Palermo Hollywood can offer this. What worries me as bit is the area between Palermo Hollywood and Soho (Av. Juan B. Justo) as it looks a bit dodgy (on the pictures at Google maps).

That said, I don't know too much about the Recoleta area, only that it would be in walking distance to work and that my hotel last year was in that area. But what about grocery shopping, safety etc.

Every opinion is welcome, but I prefer the positive ones why you like one place more than the other ;o).

Thank you for your help,
LittleNic

I prefer Recoleta... less dog shit and graffiti than Palermo Hollywood

The middle of Palermo can be a bit shifty....I would recommend Recoleta.

Recoleta is more Hermes and Louis Vuitton, Hollywood is more late night clubs and drag queens.
population density is higher in Recoleta, so there are more little shops and kiosks and food stores and restaurants- parts of Hollywood are just 2 story residential for blocks on end, but virtually every block in Recoleta is full of storefronts.

But you will see a lot more fur coats, expensive watches, motochorros, and high prices in Recoleta...

Juan B Justo is big, noisy, and full of traffic 24/7, but aside from right on the railroad tracks, not that dodgy- just windy and dirty.

If you want to sleep well, choose an apartment at the back of a building, facing away from the street (called "contrafrente"). They can be surprisingly quiet.

Hi!
I live in Palermo Hollywood, about a block down from where you mentioned. We get no night noise over here because most of the nigh clubs are located across Juan B. Justo, just as you enter into Palermo Soho. There are many restaurants and you will find bars and pubs if you head away from Santa Fe street. Due to the number of restaurants, there are security guards and/or police always circulating the area, especially on Humbolt and on Fitz roy. Oh yeah... Also because you've got tv channels and radio stations in this area, I believe that's why it's called Palermo Hollywood.
I second the dog crap and graffiti issue!!!
I really like Recoleta, but we chose not to live there because it seems very noisy and populated at all times, however, we don't live there so I can't tell you from experience.
Good Luck!!!

Back