Parents Of Young Children...

JenJen

Registered
Hi!

I already posted a similar post in the women's forum, but my concern isn't so much to talk to just other women but rather with parents of young kids. We have a toddler here in the Dominican Republic and are thinking about relocating to BsAs in a year or two. My father was argentine so I have quite a bit of family in the city (but we've only met in person a few times), but since my cousins have lived their whole lives in BsAs and so don't have anything to compare with. That's why I also wanted to talk to expatriates with young kids, maybe with toddlers like us, about their experiences of living there with them. How does it work with activities for them, getting to the activities, going to parks, etc etc...

If you'd be willing to help me out with a few questions please answer me here or PM me

saludos,

Jen

Hi!

I already posted a similar post in the women's forum, but my concern isn't so much to talk to just other women but rather with parents of young kids. We have a toddler here in the Dominican Republic and are thinking about relocating to BsAs in a year or two. My father was argentine so I have quite a bit of family in the city (but we've only met in person a few times), but since my cousins have lived their whole lives in BsAs and so don't have anything to compare with. That's why I also wanted to talk to expatriates with young kids, maybe with toddlers like us, about their experiences of living there with them. How does it work with activities for them, getting to the activities, going to parks, etc etc...

If you'd be willing to help me out with a few questions please answer me here or PM me

saludos,

Jen

My daughter is well beyond the age of "young kids," but I still notice that in our Palermo Botánico neighborhood there are plenty of plaza playgrounds where families take their kids, even surprisingly late at night. I might add that some of the playgrounds within the plazas have cat-proof fences, so toxoplasmosis should not be an issue.

Thanks guys. I hope there will be more answers :) I've read the thread you linked to a while ago, but ts more about play dates,,,

I remember a Dutch expat here, sent his toddlers to local pre/grade school. When I met them again a few months on, the kids almost spoke better Spanish than I did. I don't actually know for sure, but I'm sure they made friends at school too, just like normal kids.

So my un solicited .02 (I'm not a parent and have no direct experience) taswould be to look for preschools/kindergartens/daycare here and not worry about getting them in an expat school or expat play group. Just let them be kids.

I know that many schools/kiders etc here have Facebook groups for the parents which allows for easier organization of play dates etc.

Oh no we want him to go to a regular jardin de infantes and later on a regular school - he is only 18 months but the little he speaks he speaks in both Swedish and Spanish and that's how we want it. I'm more worried about regular things, that are hard to do here in e Dominican republic. Like walking to a park - not so easy here

Oh no we want him to go to a regular jardin de infantes and later on a regular school - he is only 18 months but the little he speaks he speaks in both Swedish and Spanish and that's how we want it. I'm more worried about regular things, that are hard to do here in e Dominican republic. Like walking to a park - not so easy here

In terms of parks, it varies greatly by barrio - I think Palermo and Belgrano would be best in terms of relatively well-kept spaces, while the Microcentro would be awful because its density limits open space (though Puerto Madero is relatively nearby).

We are thinking about Caballito, so we can be close to family in Flores and Boedo . I know there's at least one big park there and then read that Parque Centenario is there as well (looked nice but I've never been to that park). Caballito is where my father grew up so it was natural for us to spend most of our time there whenever we visited - I loved it but didn't have kids at the time, which changes everything

We are thinking about Caballito, so we can be close to family in Flores and Boedo . I know there's at least one big park there and then read that Parque Centenario is there as well (looked nice but I've never been to that park). Caballito is where my father grew up so it was natural for us to spend most of our time there whenever we visited - I loved it but didn't have kids at the time, which changes everything

Parque Centenario has the http://www.macn.secyt.gov.ar/cont_Gral/home.php, which is well worth a visit. I haven't been to the park in several years, not sure what the playground situation is.

That's really nice! Thank you! If I remember correctly they just fixed the playground up, looked nice from the photos I saw at least

Back