Paris Of The South.

In 1900, the two biggest cities in the America's were Nueva York, and Buenos Aires.
A european immigrant would flip a coin to decide which to go to.
So, initially, the two cities had a LOT in common.

Of course, they developed in very different ways, but each is a melting pot city, not overly influenced by a colonial overlord, that has absorbed generations of immigrants and created a new, unique mix.

As we have discussed here endlessly, BA is NOT authentically Italian, even though a majority of its citizens are of Italian descent. Its not very spanish. Its not hardly "indio" at all. It is not carib at all, with virtually no African influence. It is different from virtually every city in South or North America.
Love it or hate it, its its own thing.

I have been to Naples, and find very little resemblance, either visually or culturally.
At the very least, there are no Jews to speak of in Naples, and the cultural landscape in BA is heavily influenced by eastern european and german Jewish culture and tradition.

there are some Jews in Naples...
Baron Rothschild sent his sons each to one European financial capital. Paris, Frankfurt and indeed Naples was one too.

So, you must be saying that Buenos Aires is practically Lagos, in its culture, I guess.

You wish! Lagos is home to Nollywood, one of the most productive and certainly the fastest growing film industry centers in the World. It has a brighter future than Bombay or Southern California.
Most of the population in 2050 is very likely to be African, not Chinese or otherwise. Lagos seems to have emerged as the cultural and entertainment center of Africa, way ahead of Nairobi or Jo'burg.
They are actually creative and look forward to the future "whatever it may hold". This is culture you wont find in Buenos Aires. Notice how refined his demeanor is while talking about stealing. You don't see that in cumbia villera. The only comparison to Lagos would be Mexico D.F. not B.A.
http://youtu.be/Ktz7vc70hZ8

Let's see some of the stuff you can buy in the Paris of the North
no need to buy nutella when you have three other alternatives

lychees anyone?

No time to prepare fresh king scallops from scratch? No problem!

and maybe a treat to go with the coffee

Bon d'egustation!

Paris, capital of France,one of the world's richest, powerful countries, a former colonial power with an extensive african empire. At least 1500 years old and capital of a precursor of the modern French state in the 500s AD. Significant Roman presence before that.

Argentina, none of the above.

You wish! Lagos is home to Nollywood, one of the most productive and certainly the fastest growing film industry centers in the World. It has a brighter future than Bombay or Southern California.
Most of the population in 2050 is very likely to be African, not Chinese or otherwise. Lagos seems to have emerged as the cultural and entertainment center of Africa, way ahead of Nairobi or Jo'burg.
They are actually creative and look forward to the future "whatever it may hold". This is culture you wont find in Buenos Aires. Notice how refined his demeanor is while talking about stealing. You don't see that in cumbia villera. The only comparison to Lagos would be Mexico D.F. not B.A.

Dude, what kind of base are you smoking?

Let's take a look at more things you can ingest in the Buenos Aires of the North:

Wanna have your croissant heated and your coffee with a wide smile instead of a Gallic shrug? No problem the Imperialistic Americans have educated some french residents in the arts of not-being-rude to paying customers.

Not surgeles, They were alive in their shells just 15 minutes before the pic was taken.

Of course you can pay 10 times more for them to have them cooked in different ways by a professional:

El Palacio de la Papa Frita but with Limousine meat. Hmmm well done and still is that a little pink in the middle? Only thing missing is some boudin noir, preferably antillais.

And if you're still hungry why not some calissons and real chocolate to go with your peruvian avocado and Rio Negro wine?

The apples look moche because they were picked from the grass under a tree that no one was taking too much care of. You gotta do a little bit of Freeganism to compensate for the indulgence of importing avocados from South America.

Bonne continuation!

Reading this article shivers my bones.
http://baexpats.org/...es/#entry284585

Most of these 50 cities are THE SOUTH that comes to mind with the old cliche: ¨Paris of the South¨. Therefore, (to me ... [one more of the reasons]) Argentina is a Paris of THAT SOUTH.

I´d have never started this thread, .... IF I KNEW ... that the overwhelming majority have such a strong feelings about it.
Looking back, ... feels like I was on a different page.

Back