Paris Of The South.

khairyexpat

Registered
.......................................................................................... Translation:
.............................................................. Paris For The Financially Challenged.

Paris For the Retiree and On Fixed Income.

I know of other places fit for movie stars and the well to do, ... but these cost a fortune.

Granted, Argentina is mediocre compared to those places, but it´s the best bang for my mediocre pension buck.

I´d never compare Argentina to these places, till I have the funds they require.

If I had what it takes, I´ll not put up with the weird, the quirks, .. and all the Argentine problems ... not a minute longer !!!!!!

Of coarse Argentina has a ton of problems, ... chaos and total collapse is obvious, .. when you fall and lose 1st World Status.
What is the point me keep dwelling on re-stating the obvious?

It´d be misinformation and out of context to say that Argentina is NOT Paris of the South.
IT IS.

I think that the "Paris of the south" thing was something really and trully valid in the beginning of the XXth century, when most important buildings were settled, Avenida de Mayo built from nowhere, then (1930) Avenida 9 de Julio with its obelisk... from 1890 till 1930, the Paris of the south fitted I think; then..... not.

I think that the "Paris of the south" thing was something really and trully valid in the beginning of the XXth century, when most important buildings were settled, Avenida de Mayo built from nowhere, then (1930) Avenida 9 de Julio with its obelisk... from 1890 till 1930, the Paris of the south fitted I think; then..... not.

People ! ... Please .. context !!!!
............................................................. Paris For The Financially Challenged.
............................................................. Paris For The POOR.

Am I missing something?
I did not say it is Paris ... I´m saying it´s Paris Of The Poor.
Where is the argument here ?

Av. De Mayo (and only FIVE blocks of it) was built from 1936-37.

Late extensions took place in the 1950s and 1960s.

The Eiffel Tower is from the 1890s (or so). Buenos Aires "Old Bridge" in La Boca, built of similar materials, is far from impressive and built in the 1930s.

Really, Buenos Aires should be seen as "The New Orleans of South America". (Because the original NOLA is already IN "The South".)

Sadly wherever there is any old architecture remnant it is leveled and something ugly is built, really disappointing

Im still not exactly clear what the takeaway here is...that buenos aires is like a poor man's paris? buenos aires isnt perfect? nobody said it was. i doubt paris is perfect either.

also, i have to disagree with the statement that any old architecture remnant is leveled. have you taken a look at any of the buildings you walk by on a daily basis?

Im still not exactly clear what the takeaway here is...that buenos aires is like a poor man's paris? buenos aires isnt perfect? nobody said it was. i doubt paris is perfect either.

also, i have to disagree with the statement that any old architecture remnant is leveled. have you taken a look at any of the buildings you walk by on a daily basis?

Yes, there are still a great many faux-French buildings in Buenos Aires. Just start walking along Callao from the corner fo Av Santa Fe (in ascending order of the building numbers) and you will see many: the corner of Aranales is a good example, but you will also see how they have been "overshadowed" by modern, flat-front (and soulless) high rise apartments.

Paris isn't perfect, but it is soooooooooo much better than Buenos Aires in so many ways that (at least today) the comparison is laughable.

Back