Paying rent in dollars

steveinba said:
If you have an American Express card you can go to the Amex travel office downtown and they will cash a personal check for you and give you dollars with no transaction charge. I think this is the best way to get dollars here.

I think this only works with a Platinum card or higher. They allow you to withdraw up to US $5000 per calendar month.

My sister when here went to citi and i checked with the manager and was shown as a few have pointed out that citi has two different type of machines. one is the local and the other is the world citi machine. (there is one in the martinez on alvear branch). From that machine you can pull dollars from your us account.

As far as the legality of that ..it changes with the times here

Sleuth said:
I think this only works with a Platinum card or higher. They allow you to withdraw up to US $5000 per calendar month.

Well according to the Amex rep I spoke to on the phone, it works with the gold card as well. I will find out next week when I go to the office.

Would love to know if that has changed - I had a Citi US account and have tried multiple times at multiple Citibanks here to take out dollars and was told unless I had a local dollar account, there is no way to access dollars. And yes, the screen always offers that option but it has never worked for me. The teller also can't give me money or account info as Citi SA is a separate bank from Citi NA.

To get US dollars here get yourself a Xoom.com account. for new accounts, there is a 30 day limit on the amount of money you can transfer, but after the limit is lifted, you can transfer up to $2,500 USD at a time ot the tune of $6000 per month. There are a few other restrictions, but they are tolerable. Also, to get your money (which you can pick up at any Banco Frances throughout the pais) you'll need an AFIP number, CUIL/CUIT (I forget which), CDI from your local Policia Commisar and your passport. The first time you do the transfer expect to take an hour at the bank for them to get you in the system. After that, you just get in line and go right to the Caja to get your dinero.

I have someone send me money gram wires for less than $1k usd each and I go to the piano banco and they give me dollars with no hassle.

NoVegetables said:
Hey Guys,

So the owner of the apartment wants Rent in dollars and not pesos. How do i get dollars in BA without first making several ATM withdrawals at a time to get pesos (there is a low daily limit at ATMs), each time paying a withdrawal fee and a 3% conversion fee, then going to a cambio to get dollars and pay the cambio conversion fee and a terrible exchange rate?

It seems like an awful lot of trouble and awfully expensive way to pay rent that is already incredibly marked up for non-residents.

Someone must have gone through this before can you share your experience?

Tell the owner to accept your pesos or rent another apartment.

Back