Paying rent in pesos, legal exchange rate

sgarlow

Registered
Hi all, I was hoping someone could point me to the section of the law that says that rent can be paid in pesos (not just dollars).

Similarly, is there a section of the law (either relating to rent, or just generally) that mandates what exchange rate has to be accepted.

We've been feuding with our landlard for 2 months (at some point, he tried to demand we pay rent at 5.1), and I'd like to be clear on what our rights are legally.

Thanks so much. And Happy New Year.

Refer to the LEY DE ALQUILERES Nro. 23.091
Don't take bull from any landlord. He gets the "buy" rate, which is $4,33 as of today and if he is demanding more, just stop paying him altogether. It will take him forever to get you out. Also go to the police or the fiscalía if he's harrassing you and get a denuncia with a "# de expediente". Send him a carta documento just for good measure also. He will back down quickly.

It makes no sense to talk when you have rights you can enforce them.

If you have been for over 6 months, then the law says you have a 2 years contract.

The rule of paying at oficial tax rate doesn t exist at the law. Judges establishes how much you have to pay.

The rent must be in pesos and no matter if the official dollar rise, it remains freeze.

Read this
http://baexpats.org/expat-life/18817-whats-deal-usd-argentina.html
Regards

Your Landlord is a douchebag !.
GOD how I hate when they get all friggen greedy!.
I read the other day that there is either a law , or a law in the works to pesificar rentals. Look into this , its recent.
Question to the readers:
Although I hear lotsa talk about the black market dollar and its aleged price of 5.10 or 5.20. Can anyone cite anyone whis is actually buying dollars at that rate ?
I hadnt changed dollars the other day and asked at the counter in Easy if they accepted dollars . Yes ! they said - "at 4.12" !! Everybody is a friggen commedian !

5:1 exchange rate is pretty ridiculous. The Dollar actually went down recently. Anywhere between 4.3-.4.5 is fair. Anything more is predatory.

BTW. The central Western Union office actually pays out in Dollars for small wires of up to $ 300 usd. So expats can get Dollars now. They just need to wire the money in small amounts.

TheBlackHand said:
The Dollar actually went down recently. Anywhere between 4.3-.4.5 is fair. Anything more is predatory
The informal dollar went down from 4.79 early in the week to 4.78 yesterday. See www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/dolar.asp
The official rate is 4.29 (buy) 4.33 (sell). It appears you have the legal rights to insist that he accept 4.33 pesos times the number of dollars recited in the lease as your rent. How you want to approach resolution of his refusal to abide by the law depends on several factors, e.g. do you think the landlord was ignorant of the above-referenced LEY DE ALQUILERES Nro. 23.091, do you like the premises a lot (are they a good deal), how much longer is left on the lease, do you otherwise get along with and or trust the landlord, etc.

I'm not an AR lawyer, so can't give you proper legal advice but as a practical matter: if you want to play hardball you should offer your landlord 4.33 accompanied by a simple writing citing the text of the above referenced LEY DE ALQUILERES Nro. 23.091. Payment would be best in the form of a check bearing the notation "payment in full for rent to xx/xx." If you don't or can't pay by check and he is willing to accept the 4.33, then get a receipt reciting it is payment in full.
Alternatively, you may want to compromise on the rate used to calculate the rent. In doing so keep in mind your legal rights and plan ahead to avoid further disputes on how the rent will be calculated going forward.

scarface said:
I'm not an AR lawyer, so can't give you proper legal advice but as a practical matter: if you want to play hardball you should offer your landlord 4.33 accompanied by a simple writing citing the text of the above referenced LEY DE ALQUILERES Nro. 23.091. Payment would be best in the form of a check bearing the notation "payment in full for rent to xx/xx." If you don't or can't pay by check and he is willing to accept the 4.33, then get a receipt reciting it is payment in full.
Alternatively, you may want to compromise on the rate used to calculate the rent. In doing so keep in mind your legal rights and plan ahead to avoid further disputes on how the rent will be calculated going forward.

I am a lawyer and with all my respect, it depends.
You have no chances to deal with a landlord in this way, in my experience, because this isn t about ignorancy. I think that the strategy depends on the kind of contract that he/she has.
To send a carta documento properly done by a lawyer is the proper way to notice the landlord and to protect you from eviction.
But it depends on how is you contract, we need more info for properly advice you.
Regards

Back