Paying the fine for overstaying

cricri58

Registered
Migraciones told me it costs 300 pesos to pay the fine (multa) for overstaying.
I wonder how many days one is allowed to stay after the deadline...

After 90 days, no matter how long you stay after the deadline the same flat fee of 300 pesos. It could be years, it will be the same amount. I was going to the border to pay the 50 pesos fine that was in existence until March of 2009, and then just stopped because the trip cost me a lot more than the 50 pesos. After the change, I just continued to be¨"illegal" (though still paying employment taxes to Cristina to AFIP!!!!!, they do not care about your status). Last month, I crossed into Chile after 22 months in Argentina on a tourist visa, and the Immigraciòn lady didn`t even blink and asked me for the 300 pesos without an explanation. Stamp and pass, no problema.

¡Que pais gracioso! :D

Now, 300 pesos will give me a fun Saturday night in a neighbouring country:p, so I will probably keep going to update the tourist visa until I get tired of doing the 3 month run. Then, I wiill just let the 3 months acculmulate for a long time until I decide to go visit the grandkids, which may be years from now!!!!!!!!!!!!:).

Thank you for your interesting story!

no matter how long you stay after the deadline,
are you sure about that?

Hey,

My passport was stolen when I first arrived. I went to the consulate and now I have a replacement which is completely blank. There is no record of when I entered the country.

Has anyone had any experience with this sort of thing?

And where exactly do you go to update the tourist visa? Mine will be up November 3rd...what should I do about this? I will only be in the coutry another 2 months after that. Thanks for the info!

katiemcaldwell said:
And where exactly do you go to update the tourist visa? Mine will be up November 3rd...what should I do about this? I will only be in the coutry another 2 months after that. Thanks for the info!

Go to the Office of Migraciones at Av. Antártida Argentina 1355 before your 90 days are up.

Enter the building and go past the information counter (to the right).

When you get past the information counter, look to the opposite wall (next to the open doorway) and you will see a window where you will receive a number for your turno (no advance appointment is required). They may ask what you are there for or just ask what country you are from. In either case, just say "prorrogas de permanencia" or "noventa dias" and you will be given a paper slip with the number for your turn. Then go through the "doorway" to the right and proceed to the "prorrogas de permanencia" section (to the left near the front of the building) and wait for your number to be called.

If you don't speak Castellano all you need to say is that you would like an additional 90 days. You don't need to give a reason.

You will than be directed to the caja at the back of the room to pay the $300 peso fee, return to the desk, and they will stamp your passport.

Just to be safe, take photocopies of your passport (showing both the photo page and the page with your original entry stamp).

After you have the 90 day "extension" it's a good idea to make a new photo copy of your passport (at least the photo page and the page with the stamp from prorrogas) to carry with you (instead of the actual passport). That way you can show you are legally here if there is ever a question and reduce the risk of "losing" your passport in the streets.

OR, as the weather is getting nice, if you have the time, you can take the ferry to Uruguay for a about $210 pesos (Monday-Thursday).

Charlsi said:
Hey,

My passport was stolen when I first arrived. I went to the consulate and now I have a replacement which is completely blank. There is no record of when I entered the country.

Not exactly, but I had a blank replacement passport and my old perforated and expired passport with my entry, and last month there was no problem.

I assume that they will just assume that you were overstaying and fine you 300 pesos before you stamp out, nothing more. They do not want any complications.

Charlsi said:
Hey,

If your new passport has the same number as your old passport then it will call up the information that was put on the system when your passport was swiped on the way in.

If, like us Brits, you get a different number every time you renew a passport then it might not be so straightforward. When I had my passport stolen, and I took my new passport to migraciones for a replacement entry stamp, they asked me when I entered and, backed up by the police report of the theft, stamped my passport with the date I had advised.

US Passports have a different number when they are reissued as well.

If you have any type of proof of your entry (airline ticket or printout, etc), I would hold onto it and have it with you when you leave. Also take the police report with you.

Charlsi said:
Hey,

if your old passport was machine-readable, it's likely it was swiped on entry and they'll have a record of when you came into the country anyway. AFAIK.

Back