Paying the overstay fine at Ezeiza

SaraSara said:
Steveinbsas:

How do you quote messages from another thread?

go to that thread. Press Quote...copy what's in the text box...go back to this thread...paste.

Thanks Steve and Sara. The part I'm worried about is 'go to the bank and pay the fine'. I'm pretty sure the bank won't be open at that time.

SaraSara said:
There is also an office at Av. Antartida Argentina 1355 where you can renew your visa once before having to leave the country again. It takes a while, and they are open from 7:30-2 so it is best to get there early."

If you want to extend a tourist visa, go to the Office of Migraciones at Av. Antártida Argentina 1355 before your 90 days are up.

Enter the building (main entrance in front) and go past the information counter (to the right).

When you get past the information counter, look to the opposite wall (next to the open doorway) and you will see a window where you will receive a number for your turno (no advance appointment is required but sometimes they only give 50 turnos per day). They may ask what you are there for or just ask what country you are from. In either case, just say "prorrogas de permanencia" or "noventa dias mas" and you will be given a paper slip with the number for your turn. Then go through the "doorway" to the right and proceed to the "prorrogas de permanencia" section (to the left near the front of the building...but not all the way to the windows) and wait for your number to be called.

If you don't speak Castellano all you need to say is that you would like an additional 90 days. You don't need to give a reason. If this is your first time there will be no problem, but recently they have denied the "renewal" to some individuals who have made multiple requests for the 90 day extension, even thought they have gone to Colonia in he interim.

You will than be directed to the caja at the back of the room to pay the $300 peso fee, return to the desk, and they will stamp your passport.

Be sure to take photocopies of your passport (showing both the photo page and the page with your original entry stamp).

After you have the 90 day "extension" it's a good idea to make a new photo copy of your passport (at least the photo page and the page with the stamp from prorrogas) to carry with you (instead of the actual passport). That way you can show you are legally here if there is ever a question and reduce the risk of "losing" your passport in the streets.

Our children have dual citizenship and we discussed these same questions with our immigration attorney in Buenos Aires, American Airlines personel at Ezieza, and immigration personnel at Ezieza. All were unequivocal: you must use the Argentinian passports when entering or leaving Argentina.

kurtdillard said:
Our children have dual citizenship and we discussed these same questions with our immigration attorney in Buenos Aires, American Airlines personel at Ezieza, and immigration personnel at Ezieza. All were unequivocal: you must use the Argentinian passports when entering or leaving Argentina.

I traveled with my American passport in October of last year with no trouble. Perhaps regulations have changed since then.

If you are staying for less than 90 days it doesnt matter if you come on your argentine or foreign passport, and on your way out, if you are a dual and you came in on a foreign passport and overstayed your visa you just leave on your argentine passport and it no longer matters. I used to come back and forth between Argentina and the States almost weekly (i worked for the airlines and was married to an argentine) and depending on how long the immigration lines were and how much stuff i was carrying with me (ie, what customs would potentally try and squeeze me for) i would switch off with passports. That is what someone at the consulate in Chicago had reccommended to me.

abarlesi said:
If you are staying for less than 90 days it doesnt matter if you come on your argentine or foreign passport, and on your way out, if you are a dual and you came in on a foreign passport and overstayed your visa you just leave on your argentine passport and it no longer matters. I used to come back and forth between Argentina and the States almost weekly (i worked for the airlines and was married to an argentine) and depending on how long the immigration lines were and how much stuff i was carrying with me (ie, what customs would potentally try and squeeze me for) i would switch off with passports. That is what someone at the consulate in Chicago had reccommended to me.

That's what I understood. If I stay over three months I must leave with my Argentine passport. I go to Colonia often, so I haven't had to do that yet.

So nobody has tried to pay the fine at Ezeiza on a late night flight? Obviously I'd prefer to avoid a trip to the Antártida Argentina office, but I don't want to risk missing me flight because I can't pay the fine at the airport because the banks are closed.

Sorry - I have no idea on what time the stand to pay the fine closes at EZE. Have you tried calling the airline and seeing if they know? If not, you may want to go to the airport at 8 or 9, I would guess it will be open then.

Back