Paying The Rent

OP here..

We were able to work it out with the landlord. I know its a cash economy, I was trying to get a sense if there was a financial reason (taxes) to not want a wire or personal check.

LL was cool and said they would come pick up the cash or meet at a bank.. or that they would accept a check not made out in their name.

I'm assuming she wants something similar to a cashiers check, not sure if these exist in the same sense as the do in the U.S, made out to cash??

Anyone have experience handling this through a bank or with their landlord/tenants?

OP here..

We were able to work it out with the landlord. I know its a cash economy, I was trying to get a sense if there was a financial reason (taxes) to not want a wire or personal check.

LL was cool and said they would come pick up the cash or meet at a bank.. or that they would accept a check not made out in their name.

So the LL accept a check if their names not on the check? Then this confirms Nikads being saying it all this time...Tax evasion....The LL does not want to pay taxes...Period.

Its most likely taxes, which personally I don't care, to each their own. I just wanted to see if that gave me some more negotiating leverage... which it did.

Anyone have an idea if cashiers checks exist in Argentina? If so, I assume it can be made out to cash?

Nothing is unusual in your landlord's request.

1) It costs money to deposit a check which is why a lot of people don't want checks.
2) And you don't put a name on checks normally. Because checks get passed from person to person (so you give check to landlord who in turn gives it to another person that s/he needs to pay, etc.) Last person fills in the name.

Cash is the norm - every apt I ever rented was paid for in cash. You get a receipt with signature, date, etc. NBD.

I pay rent in cash in US. My landlord would be an idiot to declare it and pay taxes. I take rent in cash. I would be an idiot to declare it and pay taxes.

Ask to pay quarterly , and for a discount.

I pay rent in cash in US. My landlord would be an idiot to declare it and pay taxes. I take rent in cash. I would be an idiot to declare it and pay taxes.

Why would someone be an idiot to pay taxes?

Why would someone be an idiot to pay taxes?

I hear that if you own a property and you claim is EMPTY( not rented) the AFIP will request the utility bills and determine if it was really empty or asses the taxes based on an estimated market rental Value?

I hear that if you own a property and you claim is EMPTY( not rented) the AFIP will request the utility bills and determine if it was really empty or asses the taxes based on an estimated market rental Value?

Ha,ha,haa BA guvnmnt in its best..Down with the tax evaders !

It's not like the taxes are being used to improve the the country or Buenos Aires. The streets are full of potholes, the sidewalks are not fit for wheel chairs, the trains crash, the subway workers are constantly on strike, the buses run people over, food is too expensive, people are disgruntled, you can't get certain necessary medications, and most of it goes to constructing houses in villas to buy people's votes and into the K's personal pockets for shopping sprees in NYC.

Back