Paying Twice For A Visa??

Sorry to hear what happened. I had a similar problem here at Perth airport a few weeks ago, even though I was waving a British passport in front on the check in guys face he was infatuated with my Australian passport and wanted to know why I had not paid the fee! The problem was solved by a senior airline official and 2 legal extracts I had printed prior to going to the airport.

The problem that Nounou reported and solved with an airline in Perth, Austalia is very important for dual nationals of both a 'fee-owing' and 'non-fee-owing' country who fly to BA out of their 'fee-owing' country rather than from their 'non-fee-owing' one. This new problem has arisen as a result of airlines misinterpreting and misapplying the Argentine reciprocal fee to passengers who don't owe it. This has recently been discussed in the following thread on Tripadvisor's Buenos Aires' forum:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g312741-i979-k6136793-Any_new_Reciprocity_Fee_updates-Buenos_Aires_Capital_Federal_District.html

"Air Canada" wrongly made dual national EU/Canadian citizens pay the Argentine fee or lose their flights just because they were about to board flights in North America. By so doing, Air Canada which isn't a government blocked their right to present themselves to Argentine Immigration when they arrive in Argentina as EU citizens and thereby as non-fee-owers. By doing this, the airline created a false distinction between EU passport holders' citizenship status based on where their flights to Argentina happen to begin! The airline refused to recognize their EU passports although Argentina does so automatically as do all the countries involved or affected by this wrong policy. In this way, "Air Canada" while purporting to be ensuring passengers' compliance with Argentine law, in fact, rewrote that law to no longer be a reciprocal measure between countries at all and, instead, a penalty for having dual nationality when flying out of Canada on one's Canadian passport. These errors serve the airline's convenience.

My husband and I, both UK/Canadian nationals won't be affected by Air Canada's erred policy because we've recently moved to Europe and will no longer be flying to BA from Canada but from Europe from now on. My husband asked Air Canada if it would be correcting its policy. AC's reply doesn't even mention Argentina's fee or dual nationality but it did state that when someone buys a ticket, that sale automatically relieves this airline from all liability for makig a wrond decision for barring a person from flying so long as the airline thought it was interpreting and applyng a law or requirement properly. It says:

"It is therefore stated in our tariff, which forms part of the Contract for Carriage of each ticket, that "No liability shall attach to carrier if carrier in good faith determines that what it understands to be applicable law, government regulation, demand, order or requirement, requires that it refuse and it does refuse to carry a passenger." "

It's embarrassing to me as a Canadian that Canada's own airline thinks it's reasoable to block the rights of citizens of some 26 non-fee-paying countries in the EU to present themselves as such citizens when they visit Argentina; that it can pervert the relationship of EU ciizens with their own EU countries whenever those citizens fly to BA from Canada; and that it can rewrite an Argentine law in a way to do more than what it intends and in so doing, it can reverse the whole purpose and principle of a reciprocal law so as to apply it against countries against whom Argentina has nothing to reciprocate!

Parents are here for their 4th time. Dad had a new passport and forgot the old one with the visa in it. Had to pay $160 in Dallas. Any one in this situation have any luck getting reimbursed? I spoke with Migraciones there at EZE when I went to pick them up and they said I would have to go to Migraciones near Retiro, of course. I just really doubt they would do anything about it, though. Even if they wanted to help, I have a feeling they wouldn't know how.

Did he pay with a card? My relative called up the credit card company and cancelled the payment, no questions asked.

Yes, credit card. But why would the credit card company refund the money no questions asked?

If it's under 30 days, it won't have gone through yet, you just cancel it, no refund necessary.

Back