People Who Like B.a.

Guachita !! Very true , however I discourage the use of VOS, it adds a new verb form to learn , besides Tu, Usted. Ustedes?
Vos has no plural other than Ustedes. Besides the use of Vos is not polite outside Argentina...? it employs a locally Modified form of the Imperative Salí !! The imperative in Spanish is Sale!

A disgresion

The imperative is sal, not sale. And it would be instead of tu, so its not an extra. Besides, the conjugation for vos is more simple than most conjugations for tu, so if difficulty is the problem, id opt for vos instead of tu? Usted youd have to learn anyways, and also ustedes, as its not just the plural of vos but also of tu in most other countries except Spain, where you besides tu, usted, and ustedes would also have to learn to use vosotros. Of all the options, i think using vos and ustedes are the most easy ones. And it sounds nice...

You discourage the use of "vos"? You're kidding, Im sure.
Vos has no plural? Neither does "tu". (Techincally "vos" has a plural; it's "vosotros", used in Spain. "Vos", as you may know, comes from old Spanish, and "vosotros" is "vos" plus "otros".)
That "locally modified" imperative dates back at least 500 years. It is the same or similar to other conjugations for vos you will hear in other regions of LAm where the use of vos has also survived.

For Spanish language students I suggest to avoid the vos conjugation since its only used in Porteño in Argentina. Have no indication if VOS was used, 500 years ago?, in the Porteño fashion of today? The Colonial texts may Read "Vos Majestad sois el que nos Gobierna..." ( sois no SOS?).
Mirá , saltá comé andá, salí , etc are locally modified versions of the Spanish Imperative tense ,accentuated in the last syllable? Never heard this mode of speech in LATAM countries other than Argentina

The imperative is sal, not sale. And it would be instead of tu, so its not an extra. Besides, the conjugation for vos is more simple than most conjugations for tu, so if difficulty is the problem, id opt for vos instead of tu? Usted youd have to learn anyways, and also ustedes, as its not just the plural of vos but also of tu in most other countries except Spain, where you besides tu, usted, and ustedes would also have to learn to use vosotros. Of all the options, i think using vos and ustedes are the most easy ones. And it sounds nice...

The conjugations for vos are strange, new and are not in the regular Spanish verbs, I think, Mirá , Salí, Andá corré , are never used in other Spanish speaking countries!! I studied Spanish in other countries and this mode was not mentioned???

The conjugations for vos are strange, new and are not in the regular Spanish verbs, I think, Mirá , Salí, Andá corré , are never used in other Spanish speaking countries!! I studied Spanish in other countries and this mode was not mentioned???

I never said they used it in other countries, they dont. I just said its easier, and living in BsAs and not in El Salvador, it would make sense to learn it. In Spain youd have to learn for example that pedir becomes tu pides, vosotros pedís, ustedes piden. Here its just vos pedis, ustedes piden. Easy as cake, no dipthongs, no vowel changes, 2 forms and not 3, its not much to ask.

I never said they used it in other countries, they dont. I just said its easier, and living in BsAs and not in El Salvador, it would make sense to learn it. In Spain youd have to learn for example that pedir becomes tu pides, vosotros pedís, ustedes piden. Here its just vos pedis, ustedes piden. Easy as cake, no dipthongs, no vowel changes, 2 forms and not 3, its not much to ask.

Tu pides y vos pedís no es lo mismo , check the accent in the last syllable...!! So, your case vos pedís . Uds. piden, vosotros pedís. Ver link. Yes 2 cases.

http://users.ipfw.ed...verbs/pedir.htm

Tu pides y vos pedís no es lo mismo , check the accent in the last syllable...!! So, your case vos pedís . Uds. piden, vosotros pedís. Ver link. Yes 2 cases.

http://users.ipfw.ed...verbs/pedir.htm

Im totally lost on what youre saying. Im completing a master in Spanish, and have lived both in Argentina and Spain, i think i know the difference. Maybe im not explaining myself well in English, im feeling a bit sick today and writing papers in another language at the same time doesnt help.
Tu pides (Spain) = Vos pedís (Arg) = you
Usted pide (Spain) = Usted pide (Arg = you formal
Vosotros pedís (Spain) = Ustedes piden (Arg) = you plural
Ustedes piden (Spain) = Ustedes piden (Arg) = you plural formal (Spain)

According to Vamos Spanish Academy there are nine countries that still use vos.

http://wander-argentina.org/2011/03/argentine-spanish-voseo/

I lived with a family in Costa Rica and the husband and wife used 'vos' with each other. It can get tricky because in some regions vos is used only with those you are very intimate with, so if you go traveling to Central America be careful about that. I like the voseo personally. On another note, people are so informal in Argentina that sometimes it takes a second for me to remember the usted form when speaking with someone older and I have to try to remember not to talk filthy lunfardo that I picked up from friends here. Anyone else have the same problem?

http://wander-argent...-spanish-voseo/

I lived with a family in Costa Rica and the husband and wife used 'vos' with each other. It can get tricky because in some regions vos is used only with those you are very intimate with, so if you go traveling to Central America be careful about that. I like the voseo personally. On another note, people are so informal in Argentina that sometimes it takes a second for me to remember the usted form when speaking with someone older and I have to try to remember not to talk filthy lunfardo that I picked up from friends here. Anyone else have the same problem?

For that reason i said they dont use it in other places, at least not in the way as in BsAs where its the standard and tu basically became obsolete. The use of vos elsewhere is far more complicated and nuanced, and therefore for a foreigner maybe not the easiest thing to learn.

http://wander-argent...-spanish-voseo/

Good post maybe the link is correct.....!

Many times people say, “You’re crazy if you decide to take Spanish lessons in Buenos Aires! Porteños, i.e., people born in this city, speak a bizarre distorted type of Spanish impossible to understand for the rest of the people on the planet.”

Well this thread has derailed!! I actually prefer the argentina accents to other spanish speaking countries. I know my girlfriend (Argentine) loves the central american accents. I think if you are here for a while you may as well learn & use vos and the Argentine vocab.

I think if I went to Spain I would probably struggle a bit, with vosotros and the like which I have never bothered with but I figure seeing as I am living and working here thats okay for now ;)

Back