Pepperoni

Iznogud

Registered
Where can I find you?

Had found a substitute at a nearby delicatessen store but they ran out of it maybe 4 months ago. They called it some sort of spanish chorizo but thin sliced it did the trick almost perfectly.

Now am feeling "cold turkey".

The last time I found a good pepperoni substitute was the International Festival they had at the convention center next to UBA last year. I admit I don't go looking for it all the time, though.

Coto had some imported spanish chorizo that was a decent substitute last time I stopped by. It was sliced and repackaged in coto braded packets. Also sliced too thinly.

The meat they usually use is 'longaniza', or at least I remember ordering it at many pizzerias.

The Spanish one is chorizo colorado. Longaniza is not similar to pepperoni imho.

nikad said:
The Spanish one is chorizo colorado. Longaniza is not similar to pepperoni imho.

No, no, I'm familiar with them and they're nowhere near the real thing.
This was a delicatessen, some dago imported stuff with a fancy name. It looked the part and tasted close enough.

I stay clear of any local "pepperoni" pizza, served with longaniza topping. Might be tasty to some but is like chewing on rawhide.

Would the Salame Cantimpalo do the trick? I believe it's used at Pizza Piola for their famous Pepperoni Piza?

Z

As far as I know, "cantimpalo" is a Chorizo and not a Salame.
But, none of the regular or local offerings I'm familiar with fit the bill. The one I was buying visually looked the part and the flavor was close enough.

Thanks for trying to help, though. I'm going for the "american" :p pepperoni pizza and not the italian one. My guess is that the pepperoni pizza must be ther result of inmigrants creating a new product, different from what they had in the old continent.

pepperoni-pizza.jpg

Iznogud said:
As far as I know, "cantimpalo" is a Chorizo and not a Salame.
But, none of the regular or local offerings I'm familiar with fit the bill. The one I was buying visually looked the part and the flavor was close enough.

Thanks for trying to help, though. I'm going for the "american" :p pepperoni pizza and not the italian one. My guess is that the pepperoni pizza must be ther result of inmigrants creating a new product, different from what they had in the old continent.

pepperoni-pizza.jpg

See the link for the SALAME Cantimpalo de Di Carolis if you care to try it :D

http://www.decarolis.com.ar/espaniol/salamecantimpalo.htm

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Expat Life 23
T Newcomers Forum 17
Back