Permanent Residency Or Not?

florence

Registered
I will be eligible this week for permanent residency after three years of visas for temporary residency. But looking at the tax laws, I am thinking it might be better to stay a temporary resident, to avoid taxes on worldwide assets. I am planning to split my time half and half between here and in the U.S. I was thinking that permanent residency would free me from hassling with all the tramites of Argentine migraciones. But if I am only going to be here 6 to 8 months at a time, should I just stay with renewing my temporary rentista visa or even just get a routine tourist visa at the airport? Any thoughts?

If you are going to be absent from the country for more than 90 days then you are not liable to pay income taxes. This has been discussed elsewhere on the forum but you can follow this link from AFIP:

http://www.afip.gob.ar/english/taxInformation.asp

Your temporary residency does not excuse you from having to pay taxes either:

Aliens who obtained their permanent resident status in the country or who have legally been in the country for twelve months due to temporary authorizations. In this regard, temporary absences for less than 90 days, within every 12 months-period, shall not affect such permanence in the country. In addition, individual persons who do not obtain the permanent resident status and whose permanence in Argentina does not imply an intention of remaining in the territory shall explain the reasons for staying in the country. Said information shall be submitted to the AFIP within the first 30 days of the end of 12 months-period

If you don't want to pay taxes and your income is not dependent on having a DNI then why do you want to bother with the whole permanent residency thing?

I was thinking of the asset tax, not the income tax. My thought was that if I am planning to be out of the country more than 90 days every year, then that breaks the chain of residency if I only have a temporary visa. Taking permanent residency would definitely put my domicile here and (possibly) make me liable for the asset tax. But the truth is that so much here depends on which government functionary you are dealing with on what day that I am just going to forget about it and go ahead and the permanent residence.

There is a rule against double taxation. However, accountants in this country are too focus on cheating the system instead of doing properly a counting work like, knowing about this rule.
You should consult a lawyer who knows about tax instead of an accountant.

Back