Permanent Residency

soyyoandrew

Registered
Hi guys, I just have a question about the residencia permanente. I have been here for almost 4 years and now have more than enough to get my RP, problem is I am leaving in two weeks and I dont know when I will be able to come back. I want to get it just in case because I do see myself coming back to live again in the future. I already have the papers necessary for the visa and will be heading over to migraciones next week, my question is. Is there a rule that says you must spend a certain amount of time in Argentina per year etc or else your RP is invalidated? Or is it more like, once you have it its yours, forever? In that case I will go ahead and spend the 600 pesos if not, I guess I will have to start from zero next time because I don't think I'll be back for the rest of 2012.

Also, how long did the process take for you guys? I was told it can take up to 6 months, and if thats the case once they give you the precaria you would have to come back every three months to renew it until you got the actual RP. Did you guys find it took less or more than 3 months?

Finally, did they send the RP to your house or do you have to go and get it from migraciones? I have tried several times to elicit information from the people there but we all know what a quilombo that can be.

Thanks so much for your help.

Soyyo.

When you go to Migraciones and solicit your third renewal, you have the option to request a "cambio de categoría" to residente permanente. It's pretty much the same process as the 1st time you got residency, they give you a precaria, and you have to return in 30-60 days to pick up the permanent resident document, which allows you to update your DNI to reflect your cambio to residente permanente. You do have to be present to pick up the document, or I believe you can have an apoderado do it for you.
Good luck

The rule for presence in Argentina for permanent residents is one day in two years. If your RP is granted in February or March of this year you will have until the same date in 2014 before it expires...whether you update your DNI or not.

I got my permanent residency on the third remewal in 2009. It took less than two weeks. At that time someone else posted that theirs took almost two months. I have no idea why mine was processed so quickly. The only time I received a precaria was when I applied for a temporary resident visa the first time. I did not get one when I asked for the cambio to permanente.

I went to migraciones and asked for the cambio de categoria just under 60 days prior to my renewal date. There was no need for a precaria. My DNI never expired.

The document Davidglenn referred to is a certificate of residency. There's no reason to have somone to pick it up for you as it's only valid for six months. I'd still ask for the change to permanent..as long as you get back within two years of the date it is granted.

You might have to reenter with a 90 day visa and then go to migraciones to ask (and pay) for a new certificate...just as you would have to do if you lost the first one or waited more than six months to update your DNI.

I suggest that you consider the tax implications before you make your decision. Starting over in a year or two might be more attractive tax wise than going permanent now. The rules may change in the meantime and not necessairly in your favor. It could become more difficult than ever to get temporary or permanent residency.

Andrew, it is not clear from your post: are you renewing your residency for the third time (ready for the cambio de categoria?) OR are you talking about applying for residency with Migraciones for the first time? Do you already have your DNI and temporary residency?

If you are applying for the first time the answer is simple. Don't do it. It would only be temporary residency and that now requires 6 months presence in Argentina per year to be renewed. You cannot get permanent residency unless you have had temporary residency for the previous three years.

steveinbsas said:
If you are applying for the first time the answer is simple. Don't do it. It would only be temporary residency and that now requires 6 months presence in Argentina per year to be renewed. You cannot get permanent residency unless you have had temporary residency for the previous three years.
The wording of the OPs post ("did they send the RP to your house?") and references to "the visa" leads me to believe that he is applying for the first time. For all we know he is referring to a DNI --- it is just not clear at all from his post.

surfing said:
The wording of the OPs post ("did they send the RP to your house?") and references to "the visa" leads me to believe that he is applying for the first time. For all we know he is referring to a DNI --- it is just not clear at all from his post.

I agree. That's why I added my last post.

If Andrew has lived here for four years he should be able to apply for citizenship when he returns, having already fulfilled the two year residency requirment twice.

Applying for permanent residency "just in case because I do see myself coming back to live again in the future" is not a good idea.

And I would add the words "in Argentina" or "here" to the above quote (between "live" and "again").

Otherwise it looks like Andrew should change his name to Lazarus...or Spock. :rolleyes:

Hi Guys, I am applying for un cambio de categoria. I have had my temp residency for 3 years.

I don't think you will have time to finish the tramite but you might still try. When I did my cambio de categoria it took about two months. Did you really mean to leave this until two weeks before your departure?

Back