Permanent Residency

soyyoandrew

Registered
Hey guys,

I have got a question about permanent residency status. I left BA in January suddenly because of issues back home. Just my luck I had applied for my P.R right before I left and they said to come back in pick it up in 3 months or to come back and get my "precaria" renewed if it still hadn't been processed. Well, being that prices to BA have gone nowhere but up I never made it back but saw on the migraciones website that my PR had been approved. Now, I knew that there was a possibility of me leaving and I asked the staff what would happen if that were the case and they told me that even if my DNI was expired when I came back that as long as my PR had been approved it would show up in the system at the airport and kick in once I returned like nothing had ever happened. So, my first question, is that true. Does anyone know? Will I be ok to enter without having to pay the 145 us as a PR?

And my next question is if I move back to the states for an undetermined time period does my PR expire? I have been told various stories from " After 6 months you lose it" to " you just need to be here for a few days every two years" ( I think someone in migraciones told me that) but honestly who can trust what they say?

So if anyone could please shed a little light my way that would be greatly appreciated.

Soyyo

Be prepared for the system not to work. I flew once with an Argentine flying on a US passport, from whom they are NOT supposed to collect the fee. They collected it anyways.
Could she have stood her ground and raised hell till they'd give in? Maybe.
At any rate, go into the situation being prepared for various scenarios and having your response planned.

soyyoandrew said:
I...saw on the migraciones website that my PR had been approved. Now, I knew that there was a possibility of me leaving and I asked the staff what would happen if that were the case and they told me that even if my DNI was expired when I came back that as long as my PR had been approved it would show up in the system at the airport and kick in once I returned like nothing had ever happened. So, my first question, is that true. Does anyone know? Will I be ok to enter without having to pay the 145 us as a PR?

Yes, it should show up in the system at the airport but I suggest you print the page from the migraciones' website that confirms your permenent resident status and bring it with you...just in case.

soyyoandrew said:
Will I be ok to enter without having to pay the 145 us as a PR?

I don't have any personal experience with this, but did you ever have to pay that $140 entrance fee? If you already paid it, you don't have to pay it again on re-entry. If you've never paid it, then perhaps you will show up in the system, but without any documents I'd be prepared to pay $140 just in case. Perhaps you can print the notification from the webpage for proof.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. Hopefully I wont have any problems!

Back