Permatourism and EZE

AlexanderB

Registered
Question:

The reason the "Colonia visa run" approach to visa renewal works is because Argentine preclearance officials there (so far) look the other way on "renewing" visa stamps, i.e. giving you another stamp after your allowed 90 days and without the necessary Migraciones extension.

What happens if one leaves Argentina out of EZE after, say, 88 days, to go, say, visit back to the US or whatever, and then returns a few days or weeks later? Is there a chance one could be denied entry in this set of circumstances?

I rarely left it to the last day when I left the country. I usually did day 85 or so out of paranoia. I came back from the U.S. in the way you describe three times in two years and never had a problem. Visits ranged from eight days to one month long.

ETA: They can última prórroga stamp you whenever they want. It seems to be completely random. Happened to a roommate of mine who had been in Argentina less than a year, but she went to migraciones. The other two friends who went with her had been in Argentina the same amount of time and left with the normal 90-day stamp. They were American and she was English. Take from that what you will. I personally do not know of anyone who got it at Ezeiza or anywhere other than migraciones.

85, 88, same difference. :) The point is that once you have stayed 90 days, you have to get an extension for another 90 days, for a maximum of 6 months out of the year. So, regardless of when exactly you left, if you're hoping for another 90 day stamp, you're counting on skirting around the requirements. My question is simply about whether they're strict at EZE.

In some ways, it sounds like it might be safer to just overstay, pay the fine and, according to Bajo_cero2, have your record "cleared" as a result.

AlexanderB said:
85, 88, same difference. :) The point is that once you have stayed 90 days, you have to get an extension for another 90 days, for a maximum of 6 months out of the year. So, regardless of when exactly you left, if you're hoping for another 90 day stamp, you're counting on skirting around the requirements. My question is simply about whether they're strict at EZE.

In some ways, it sounds like it might be safer to just overstay, pay the fine and, according to Bajo_cero2, have your record "cleared" as a result.

Bajo_cero2 is a lawyer and knows a lot more than I do but I would think overstaying can be used against you. Am I wrong?

(Been through EZE only thrice. Other than the problem with my PERMANENT VISA last time, it was a breeze!)

CarverFan said:
nicoenarg, what was the problem with your permanent visa???

Its a long story and it will take away from the OP's question but it was a tiny mistake that the embassy made while writing the visa and so I had to spend about 3-4 hours at the airport to get it fixed. Running from one end of the airport to another was no fun AT ALL!

Silver-lining in all of this? My suitcases were not stolen when I got out. :D

[quote name='Don'tMindMe']They can última prórroga stamp you whenever they want. It seems to be completely random. Happened to a roommate of mine who had been in Argentina less than a year, but she went to migraciones.[/quote]It is generally considered a very bad idea to get a prórroga at Migraciones if you think you may want to stay more than 180 days.

I have a suspicion that the problem is related to the simple fact, that at Migraciones someone has to sign with her/his name while the stamp on entry is anybody's stamp.

John.St said:
It is generally considered a very bad idea to get a prórroga at Migraciones if you think you may want to stay more than 180 days.

I have a suspicion that the problem is related to the simple fact, that at Migraciones someone has to sign with her/his name while the stamp on entry is anybody's stamp.

Also, you can't go to Uruguay a few days before the prorroga from migraciones expires and get a new 90 day visa when you reenter the same day. You would have to go the day your visa expires and return after that date in order to get a new 90 day visa at the border. The agents at the border cannot override the prorroga (extension). Otherwise, just overstay and pay the fee when you finally leave.

steveinbsas said:
Also, you can't go to Uruguay a few days before the prorroga from migraciones expires and get a new 90 day visa when you reenter the same day. You would have to go the day your visa expires and return after that date in order to get a new 90 day visa at the border. The agents at the border cannot override the prorroga (extension). Otherwise, just overstay and pay the fee when you finally leave.
I agree 100%. I think all of this visa running is a monumental waste of time and money. I think overstaying your visa is likely to get about the same amount of attention (if any) as the flouting of the 90 days every 180 days rule (which is after all what you are doing if you are getting back to back tourist visas).
Also consider that the more stamps you have in your passport the more scrutiny your are liable to get at ANY border worldwide and that includes Argentina. YMMV

steveinbsas said:
Precisely. If you return before (or worse, on) the date of expiry, you get only the number of days left from the prórroga. A couple of BAexpats members have experiences of 2 or 3 days visas after visiting Colónia or Montevideo.

Back